Sign in to follow this  

books

This topic is 3664 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Before I start, yes I know there is a post a bit before this with the same thing but isn't exactly what I am looking for. I already know C++(I ready C++ without fear and Practical C++ Programming, including some online stuff) so I am not looking for a book to teach me the basics of c++. I am looking for a good book to start out in game design. I don't care if it is 2d or not as long as it includes the graphics(or the original graphics and then it tells me how to get them to work in the game) because I can't draw to save my life. I eventually want to get into 3D. I would prefer to write my own engine(is that even done much with engines out there you can buy?). So for that I am guessing I would need multiple books. Also I should note that I use Microsoft Visual C++ but do now know any of the visual parts of it(do know some vb stuff if that helps). I could switch to another compiler if I need to but it has to be compatible with vista. Thanks, Jon

Visual Studio is the de facto IDE for games development, so you don't have much to worry about. If you haven't already, you should downloaded Visual Studio Express 2008.

On the whole writing your own engine thing, yes, it seems like everyone and their brother wants to write their engine. I personally don't understand this because I like making games, not engines, but this doesn't help you any.

Some suggestions on books are:
Programming Role Playing Games with DirectX, Second Edition
Programming a Multiplayer FPS in DirectX
Introduction to 3D Game Programming with Direct X 9.0c: A Shader Approach

There are tons out there, but those will get you started. All of them use DirectX, which is used by oodles of game engines. Another option is to go the OpenGL route, which will allow you to make games that work on MacOS and Linux as well.

Thanks, Any particular order you recommend reading those in? Also I looked for vs2008 and all I could find was 2005. I saw it talking about 2008 but when I clicked the link to download it, it took me to the 2005 page and I looked around for the 2008 and when I found it, I couldn't find the c++ version.

To learn I really don't care what type of games I do. But ultimately I am interested in RPG's and FPS's(both 3D). And as for the engine, I really don't have enough knowledge to say.

I was looking through amazon and I saw a book on AI, not sure if it was coding or concepts. After I learn how to actually create games and could create one would that be any help for learning AI or do these books mostly cover what I need and the rest is learned from experience.

This topic is 3664 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.