Sign in to follow this  

Selling a flash game?

This topic is 3644 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Say that I recently have finished a flash-game. Because I'm thinking of making one. How am I going to sell it? Do I need to demonstrate the game, and can I send a demo without having the game stealed? How do I know which site/company I will get best payed from?

>> How am I going to sell it?

That is a business decision you must make. I recommend you contact several online publishers and game aggregation sites, but you might decide to follow some other route.

>> Do I need to demonstrate the game,

Yes, for that kind of game you need to show them a complete game. They won't help fund your work.

If you are lucky or have a pretty good chance of getting published they will reply and tell you the elements they want to see in the game. Normally you can expect to either be ignored or be sent a form letter that they aren't currently interested in your product.

>> and can I send a demo without having the game stealed?

Showing your stuff to a reputable publisher or aggregator is generally safe. They aren't in the business of making games, just distributing them, so they won't clone it. They also generally won't steal the game outright, since it is horrible for business and against the law in most of the world.

>> How do I know which site/company I will get best payed from?

You contact them and ask what their rates are. If they sell games you ask what percentage you get back. Most of them have a section on their web sites for developers who are interested in submitting products. That usually contains all the significant details.

In response to the Kongregate suggestion: Kongregate currently has very low revenue from what I've heard. I remember one post on the Kongregate forums saying that the guy had only earned $0.08 (if I remember correctly) so far. Based on the tone of the post, I assume that his game had been uploaded for a moderately short amount of time, perhaps a week to a month, and it sounded like his game was mediocre (again, judging by the tone of the post). But that gives you a small amount of insight into how much money games on Kongregate currently make (the post I saw was a month or two ago, and ads have changed since then, but not in a way that I believe it would nullify this information). The money you make from Kongregate is a cut of the advertising money.

But that's because Kongregate is far from its prime. It will make more money in the future of course. It's a good site and I think it'll definitely be a contender in the near future. They received $5 million in funding recently too.

Sponsorship (IMPORTANT!): Flash game sites often "sponsor" Flash games. This means that you show a site like Armor Games, Kongregate, etc. your game BEFORE you release it to the public, they say "hey, that's pretty cool," and they pay you some money to slap their logo(s) and/or splash screens onto your finished product. From what I've heard, it's actually good money (off of memory, I think really good games can get up to around $5,000, and I think "pretty good" games could still get a few hundred dollars-- if you're really interested, Google around about Flash game sponsorship a bit).

This topic is 3644 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.