Book on SDL

Started by
2 comments, last by daviangel 16 years, 4 months ago
Hi ive googled some stuff on SDL tutorial-wise and some books but i was wondering if you guys had some better info from experience. I am looking for the best book possible for learning SDL. i have seen the book Focus on SDL but its from 2002 and with how frequently things get updated i was wondering if that book was still good. I have read some reviews on it and it seemed to be ok but missing some stuff i may be wanting to learn. i have created 2d walkarounds in C++ and allegro and i am looking to go into SDL since DEV-C++ apparently isnt getting any more support from what i have been reading. I have also read that installing allegro on something like MSVC++ 2005 is a pain. so i figured i would learn SDL. Anyone have any suggestions on a book that can get me started without having to get a new book 1 month later. Like i said i have googled around and gathered some info on my own but i am looking for some human input now since all the books tell me is what the jacket wants me to see. Thanks for any and all posts. =D
"choices always were a problem for you......" Maynard James Keenan
Advertisement
I don't know any SDL books but I do know a great tutorial: Lazy Foo.
as far as I know focus on sdl is the only sdl book out there. Sdl is a pretty slow churn library so it is probably still valid. The book covers version 1.2.7 and the library is only up to 1.2.12. The other libraries that are apart of sdl like the audio lib or the net lib may have moved faster.
Quote:Original post by stonemetal
as far as I know focus on sdl is the only sdl book out there. Sdl is a pretty slow churn library so it is probably still valid. The book covers version 1.2.7 and the library is only up to 1.2.12. The other libraries that are apart of sdl like the audio lib or the net lib may have moved faster.

Yup I own that book and I used it with the latest version of SDL and VC 2005 not long ago and didn't have any problems.
The only problem I had really was having to download like 100 different files and dll's to fully use SDL. Now what's up with that?
Allegro is way better in that aspect.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement