Equipment Question

Started by
3 comments, last by 833 16 years, 4 months ago
The target audience are players who enjoy PvP in FPS, RTS, MMORPG (PvP Only), and Fighting Vs. Try to think of this as an independent game mechanic unaffected by other game systems with no obvious choice. I like to design something that is "fun" before I add physical reward or need for another game element to work properly. Does this audience get more joy from the ability to adapt an item to the situation or to get a completely new item that is adapted to the situation? In terms of PvP, is less powerful equipment needed for progression? If yes, what is the purpose of lesser quality equipment? If no, is player improvement in skill enough progression to keep someone playing? How would you do progression in a game based solely on PvP? Benefits? Flaws? Feel free to share any other comments, suggestions, or examples. .833
Advertisement
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to ask and or say.

Could you rephrase it?
_____________________________A wise man once said, 'The mind is the greatest tool in the world. If used correctly, it can cripple armies, maim giants, and overthrow kings'. And then Deep Blue beat him at chess.
If you're just looking at PvP, the item grind is infuriating. It allows time spent in game and eBay purchases to eclipse PvP skill, and that's bad. Without the PvE side to provide a sense of progress, the grind is just a "newb phase" in your career, which can last weeks, like in BF2, or years, like in EvE Online.

Let items be used in interesting combinations to get novel results, and have the preparation for PvP be a big factor in the outcome.
BF2 and EVE are two good examples of the differences.

In BF2 players choose a gun that fits a specific role. Each gun is designed to be equal but different.

In EVE players choose ships (could be compared to an empty shell of a gun type in BF2). Many players choose the exact same ship but then use mods to change the goal of this ship. The ships themselves are only designed to be equal once mods have been placed in them.

What system do you think is more fun for the audience I outlined above? I can see both sides because in PvP I don't want to screw around with mods, I want to blow stuff up. There is a strategy element that can be obtained through mods that exceeds not being able to modify equipment. In terms of PvP strategy is also fun.

Another very simplistic example would be to look at a Final Fantasy system with Materia. (but imagine it's for solely pvp)

Fire Sword, Ice Sword, Earth Sword, etc...
or
Magic Sword that uses Fire Materia, Ice Materia, Earth Materia, etc...

If it helps any don't even consider progression at all. Imagine all of these things are given to you right away. (Progression can be skill, item, or both based...it doesn't really matter right now)
Iron Chef Carnage,

Oh I agree. I'm the most anti grind person you'll ever meet. If I login and can't do what the entire game is about I'll find a new game. I see EVE and BF2 as a grind because they have a really good pvp system and yet you can't do it well when you login. These games offer other wonderful things to do until you reach that level, but I still see it as design that could be improved on.

It's sorta funny these games prove grinding is fun or the amount of crap a person will do to get to the good stuff. I guess it just depends on who you ask.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement