Sign in to follow this  

Reciprocal of Homogenous W?

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'd like to know if I'm understanding this concept correctly. So W component of a 4d vector is used to... 1) Turn on/off translation in affine transformations. Set w to 1 for points and 0 for vectors. 2) Express the common denominator for x,y and z components. If v is (x/d, y/d, z/d), then this can be expressed to (x, y, z, d). You can put (x, y, z, 1) into some sort of a division matrix, such that (x, y, z, 1) -> (x, y, z, d). This is an easier way to express division during matrix calculation. The actual division is performed during the rasterization process(?). Also this is faster in calculation, because cpu only needs to calculate 1/d once for the vector and then multiply this value to the other three components. 3) In real application, rhw is used for fog calculation, perspective projection and others. Am I understanding it correctly? I'm a little confused with 2), so any explanation or examples will be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

This topic is 3660 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.