going rate for game programmers?

Started by
2 comments, last by dpadam450 16 years, 4 months ago
What is the going rate for game programmers? I'm a programer with over 10 experience and I'm rather bored with business programming (applications/websites/databases, etc). I was thinking of shifting my line of work toward the game industry. Right now games and 3d graphics are just a hobby of mine. How much of a pay cut could I expect? lets say I'm making 80k now, would I be insane to think I would get anything close to that? thanks
Advertisement
I'm not sure about Canada or the US, but in Aus you can earn a lot more in business than in games.
Also, if you have no professional games experience you'd probably start in a junior/intermediate position on ~$40k (AU$'s).
Our currencies are pretty similar, but I know the size of your games industry is a lot larger than ours, so you might fare better.
40-65k as a new hire depending on location and talent mostly.
The average salary with less than 3 years experience from Game Developer magazine survey (3-4 months ago, for programming) was 70K or 75, cant remember.

NBA2K, Madden, Maneater, Killing Floor, Sims http://www.pawlowskipinball.com/pinballeternal

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement