Any relevant information on Particle Systems?

Started by
2 comments, last by MJP 16 years, 4 months ago
I am designing a particle engine from the ground up and I was wondering if there were any good websites that described the best ways to set up a Particle system. I have a couple of DirectX books, but I was hoping for some more clarification. Just need some help on how to set up the vertex buffer and how to render the particles correctly. Thanks!
ARC InteractiveCreative Gaming Solutionswww.arcinteractive.webs.com
Advertisement
I don't know of any books or links, but an efficient particule system is just a large dynamic VB, static IB, and a particles rendered as a triangle list. You want to keep the vertex struct as small as possible, so there's less data to push to the graphics card each frame.

I'd stay away from point sprites, since their uses are limited and with PCI-e cards in particular, the difference in vertex throughput isn't that much of an impact.

It's really just the same as any other dynamic vertex buffer.

What DX version and language are you using?
what do you intend to use it for?
Humus has a good sample on his website that can help you with the actual graphical work of drawing particles. It shows a couple of common instancing methods for D3D9 that should be useful (although with D3D10 there are even better methods at your disposal via Geometry Shaders).

Gamasutra also had a good article (login required) a while back. It's getting old at this point, but should still be quite useful. Unfortunately I don't know of any newer articles for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement