assembly degugging tools.

Started by
6 comments, last by TheAdmiral 16 years, 4 months ago
hi . i want to know about assemby debuggers. are you know any good assembly debugger for windows or linux. idon't care if its commend line or IDE. thanks for comments. and may be some sample sources for /as nasm gcc/... [Edited by - RSC_x on December 13, 2007 3:28:24 AM]
© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
Advertisement
Visual Studio is pretty nice. Can't really see a need for anything else unless you are not running on a Microsoft OS.

Quote:Original post by HAM
Visual Studio is pretty nice. Can't really see a need for anything else unless you are not running on a Microsoft OS.

what you mean.?
visual studio supports assembly projects...?
it does not suppoert correctly debugging in inline assembly.
it says oop codes are wrong and not any other .
are anyone know how to create assembly projets on visual studio.
and is there a option to convert c++ to asm like gnu's does.?
thanks .

© Loading... !!!
Please Wait...!
There aren't many options available, but OllyDbg does an excellent job of debugging any assembly. It struggles somewhat with high-level code, but can handle ASM symbol databases wonderfully.

I wouldn't get your hopes up about OOP debugging in NASM. Just because you can 'emulate' OOP functionality, it's not really supported by the language and nobody has put too much effort into developing a suitable debugger.

And every C++ compiler I know of goes via one assembly or other during compilation. There's usually a linker flag you can set to produce an assembly output. I couldn't tell you what this flag is for gcc, but I'm sure Google can help you.
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.
You can attach the visual studio debugger to any process you want, with or without debug symbols, look at the registers, step through the code, breakpoints, etc... not sure what else you would need for debugging assembly.

But look at this tutorial and maybe it would give an idea of how to do an assembly project easily.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~evans/cs216/guides/vsasm.html
+1 for olly (its free).

A common professional debugger is IDA, I've never used it.

AFAIK, Visual Studio is pretty limited in what it can do wrt binary debugging. Its strength is source debugging.
Quote:Original post by thedustbustr
A common professional debugger is IDA, I've never used it.

IDA isn't a debugger - it's a disassembler. You can run it as a debugger, but it's not designed to be used for debugging nor is it particularly effective as a debugger. My vote goes to Olly.

Quote:Original post by cshowe
IDA isn't a debugger - it's a disassembler. You can run it as a debugger, but it's not designed to be used for debugging nor is it particularly effective as a debugger.

It is designed for debugging and hence it is a debugger. It just happens that its disassembler is vastly superior the debugger and so people tend not to use its interactivity. That said, the debugger is improving considerably with each release (from what I've read). I'd agree, though, that OllyDbg is preferable in this situation.
Ring3 Circus - Diary of a programmer, journal of a hacker.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement