grhodes_at_work

List of physics engines and reference material (updated 7 March 2011)

[grhodes_at_work note] - I migrated most of the links over to the top article in the thread. I left one below, since there is currently no link to code.
I also left some unaddressed suggestions, for a future reminder.
[end note]

And maybe also some of the XNA ports:

Tokamak though this doesn't look like it's publicly available yet.

I also suggest noting on each:

- What language it's in

- What platforms it supports

And maybe if you update the original post then this one can be deleted?

[Edited by - grhodes_at_work on December 18, 2007 11:30:38 AM]

For completeness I would also add the work of Jacobsen and Muller:

And the Baraff Siggraph notes and his other publications:

Also I find these four books and their associated websites useful:

Also add Open Tissue to the list of engines and add Erin Catto's GDC presentations and not only Box2D.

[grhodes_at_work - added links to Open Tissue and Erin's personal blog page to the top post. Catto's presentations are on the Essential Math site]

[grhodes_at_work second edit - moved Jacobsen, Muller, Baraff, Ericson, v.d. Bergen, and Eberly links to the main post. Removed links from here to avoid confusion with duplicates.]

[Edited by - grhodes_at_work on September 8, 2009 10:55:03 AM]

Benchmarks/copmarisons:
Physics abstraction layer interactive benchmark graphs (to help you choose the most appropriate physics engine)
Evaluation of real-time physics simulation systems (contains a matrix comparison of the features of 7 different engines)
Evaluation of Physics Engines and Implementation of a Physics Module in a 3d-Authoring Tool

Physics content creation:
Scythe physics editor

Articles/Resources:
Adrian Boeing's physics engine list
Wikipedia Physics Engine article
Racing car physics
Chris Hecker's Rigid body tutorials
Roy Featherstone's publications (see the excellent overview paper: Robot Dynamics: Equations and Algorithms. IEEE Int. Conf. Robotics & Automation, pp. 826-834, 2000.)
Gaffer on game physics
Flight gear, aerodynamics
SSS, aerodynamics

More Engines:
see Adrian Boeing's physics engine list, eg:
Dynamechs

Notes:
-OPAL is no longer being developed (ie:dead)
-Tokamak is publicly available, and open source, see tokamak downloads

[quote name='quaikohc' timestamp='1331123573' post='4920042']
physx is under very active development, so it's not dead
[/quote]

Indeed - that's just a formatting error - Oxford Dynamics is supposed to be on a new line.

It's probably worth linking to [url="http://iphys.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/interactive-simulation-of-rigid-body-dynamics-in-computer-graphics/"]http://iphys.wordpress.com/2012/02/28/interactive-simulation-of-rigid-body-dynamics-in-computer-graphics/[/url] "Interactive Simulation of Rigid Body Dynamics in Computer Graphics" by Jan Bender, Kenny Erleben, Jeff Trinkle, and Erwin Coumans as it's a very recent summary of pretty much everything.

15 hours ago, MobilityWins said:

this might be a dumb question, but for the open source bullet physics engine, is there a capability of merging the engine with Unity as well?

A quick search came up with [url="http://digitalopus.ca/site/bullet-physics-in-unity-3d/"]this[/url] so it looks like it's been done. I don't use Unity so can't offer any opinion on it, though.

Why do you think Bullet would be better than PhysX (that's not a loaded question - just interested!).

23 hours ago, MrRowl said:

A quick search came up with [url="http://digitalopus.ca/site/bullet-physics-in-unity-3d/"]this[/url] so it looks like it's been done. I don't use Unity so can't offer any opinion on it, though.

Why do you think Bullet would be better than PhysX (that's not a loaded question - just interested!).

Oh I don't really know, I just was curious on how people go about working with multiple engines, what benefits there are.