How to make an installer for my game

Started by
6 comments, last by Bearhugger 16 years, 4 months ago
Hey guys. How do I create an installer for my game so I can upload it to my GameDev account? Heh Im a noob and just need some help with that. I don't think I can simply post the exe because it depends on texture and sound files too...so help!
ARC InteractiveCreative Gaming Solutionswww.arcinteractive.webs.com
Advertisement
Hi! take a loojk at http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page it's one of the best!

I'm currently using Inno Setup, it's free and very nice once you get the hang of the scripting language.

Previously I've used "Setup Generator" which is also free and extremely easy to use, but lacks some options like placing a shortcut icon on the desktop.
This doesn't require programming, use clickteam install creator. http://clickteam.com It's also good with handling .dlls etc. etc.
Quote:Original post by Fingers_
I'm currently using Inno Setup, it's free and very nice once you get the hang of the scripting language.

Hey thanks so much for the tip! Inno worked great, although I had so many files to add to my compile code (it took a while:) Hopefully I'll have my game uploaded to my account soon!
ARC InteractiveCreative Gaming Solutionswww.arcinteractive.webs.com
Another really good tool is Wix. It might seem daunting at first (the input XML, that is), but it's really not too bad, and you get nice, clean Windows installer packages without too much work.
Quote:Original post by theOneAwaited
Quote:Original post by Fingers_

Hey thanks so much for the tip! Inno worked great, although I had so many files to add to my compile code (it took a while:) Hopefully I'll have my game uploaded to my account soon!

You don't need to add files to the script one by one. You can just add the folder your application files are in, and it'll happily include any subdirectories etc. My "files" sections usually just have one line, like this:

[Files]Source: "C:\coding\!installers\soup_v10\*"; DestDir: "{app}"; Flags: ignoreversion recursesubdirs createallsubdirs
Visual Studio 2005 allows you to make Setup Projects and it works pretty well for me. I don't know if it comes with the express editions though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement