How to: Connect Xbox, Playstation, or Wii to online game server

Started by
15 comments, last by hplus0603 16 years, 4 months ago
Okay, I hear you.

Thanks guys.
Advertisement
Well to answer the purely technical side (yes it's impossible on the "political side"). All these machines support TCP/IP so... It's just like any other networked game. You'd need to write a client for each type of machine, do some byte swapping depending on the processor type and you're golden.

Of course, you'd never pass any certification if your software were to let xbox and ps3 players interact.
Hmmm while I don't think Microsoft or Sony would ever certify you for it, I'm sure it would be technical to create a virtual machine for both systems. Then provide a client to users to purchase as they would any other game. Then provide a scripting language and tools to users who wish to create content.

You would be limited in what could be created though. The main problem with this though is getting the dev kits, as well as getting through certification from them for something like this I believe would be next to impossible.
No, the main problem would not be getting the dev kits. Increasingly, the homebrew libraries provide reasonable access to the console hardware. The main problem would be generating binaries that pass the cert check, circumvention of which would require that all of your end users install a jailbreak - essentially run a patched system and alternate OS. At which point you just have PCs in fancy boxes.
Yeah, no matter which way you cut it, the big three have setup thier barriers to entry very high. Technical is not too hard, but it sounds like it can't be done legally.

So, I'll attack the problem from another angle

Thanks everyone.
Quote:Original post by ecurren
Yeah, no matter which way you cut it, the big three have setup thier barriers to entry very high. Technical is not too hard, but it sounds like it can't be done legally.

Technically it's very easy. Get the kit, develop game, be done...

The reason the certification scheme is in place, is because all console developers take huge losses - just about all consoles are manufactured and sold at incredible loss.

Obviously, they won't let people get their free consoles, and make profit, while they are losing big money. If you allow free distribution, console manufacturer dies.

Technically, the Xbox actually doesn't have an unobstructed path to the greater Internet; Xbox Live runs everything through an encrypted UDP channel to the Microsoft back-end system, which in turn lets it know where to send those packets. You can't open a "regular" TCP stream from an Xbox to any web server out there. I think the PS/3 and Wii are less constricted in that regard.

That being said, you could release a "game player" that implements some scripting system, and a library that you can write games against. Then implement four or five fun games, and sell that on the platform as a "family game collection" or "card game collection" or whatever. Done right, that could pass the business requirements for the platform providers. Then you can ship additional games as downloadable content (Xbox marketplace, etc). Microsoft wouldn't have much against that, because they make money off of every sale on the Marketplace.

The main thing you need to realize is that the game consoles are NOT like a PC, and their market is NOT like the PC (or like the greater Internet). You absolutely need the knowledge, approval and support of the console companies to make any product or business succeed on consoles.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement