Tetris tutorial

Started by
9 comments, last by flashinpan 16 years, 3 months ago
Where can I find a good Tetris tutorial online? My preferences are: C# GDI+ if not GDI+, then: DirectX (XNA?) Thanks! Tom
Advertisement
What games have you already finished programming?
Surely Google should turn something up? Should it focus on rendering graphics or game logic?

Otherwise there's always Pouya's tutorial. ;)
I haven't laughed that loudly for a while. I'm definitely bookmarking this tutorial. [lol]
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
Quote:Original post by DevFred
What games have you already finished programming?

I wrote a hangman game in Delphi 3 many years ago.

Nothing recent, and nothing using a current programming language or Graphics API.
Quote:Original post by WanMaster
Surely Google should turn something up? Should it focus on rendering graphics or game logic?

Otherwise there's always Pouya's tutorial. ;)

Both graphics and rendering are of interest to me.

I just want the simplest game that demonstrates ALL of the characteristics of a modern game. Tetris is mentioned in your beginner articles as a good first game for noobs like me. It has the basics, like:

Game Loop
Graphics rendering
Sound
Processing input
Game Logic
etc.
Not to sound rude, but the point is to write it yourself. Examples are nice, but you aren't going to learn anything by copying and pasting source code for a game.

Having said that, if anyone has a programming Halo 3 tutorial, I'd love to see it.
Quote:Original post by Tom9729
Not to sound rude, but the point is to write it yourself. Examples are nice, but you aren't going to learn anything by copying and pasting source code for a game.

Having said that, if anyone has a programming Halo 3 tutorial, I'd love to see it.

You are not rude at all.

I think that is a valid point - a valid way to see things.

I may learn more by doing it without copying and pasting existing code, but I think I may also learn from understanding the existing code of a tutorial, I mean REALLY understanding it, not just compiling it and running it. Then, perhaps I can extend the game to provide new functionality or different game pieces.

Thanks for this input.
I advise you to write it yourself too. I have written tetris myself. It wasn't really hard to do. What you basically need to know is how to display graphics on the screen, get user input, know how to work with 2d arrays and for loops.
Again, I'm going to agree with the others, you should atleast attempt to make your tetris clone without a guide and then when you run into a snag, post back here with a more specific problem so the community can help you out.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement