Sign in to follow this  
nighttimeinar

To Change or Not to Change Screen Resolution

I am designing a card game with extremely simple graphics. The graphics are bmps displayed in pictureboxes that move around the form. I am trying to decide how to handle the issue of screen resolution. I have read so many articles and threads about this issue that I am thoroughly confused. Should I.... 1. Create one form to be viewed on 800X600 and let the user manually adjust their display settings if needed or.... 2. Create one form multiple times. Each version of the form to be used with a different screen resolution. Then when the user initializes the game check the user's settings and display the appropriate form or .... 3. Create one form to be viewed with a screen resolution of 800/600 and upon execution of the program check the user's display settings, change the settings to 800 X 600 if needed and then when the user terminates the program restore the settings to their original values or.... 4. Create a scalable form? Does anyone know the rule of thumb the professional game programmers abide when faced with this situation?

I would also use a scalable form, just use percentages of the size of the resolution to scale the form. Even if you decide to go with a set size for resolution it's still good practice I think and if you decide to change your mind later on, you won't have to adjust or hard code to solve scalability issues.

As for why the other approaches are bad:

1) "Let user manually adjust display settings": Users are lazy. They won't do it.

2) "Forms for each screen resolution": The problem is there are too many monitor resolutions out there to support. Consider widescreen monitors, monitors that can rotate, laptops with strange resolutions. Also remember that Remote Desktop supports arbitrary resolutions through command-line switches.

3) "Change the screen resolution for the user": This one would work if your game is a dedicated activity, but card games usually don't fall in this category. Also be careful of how this is implemented; I've seen apps that change the resolution and crash without restoring it.