python and event.get()

Started by
2 comments, last by Zaris 16 years, 3 months ago
When I run this code it seems to wait till an event happens before adding new pixels to the screen. What can I do to get it to run until I click the mouse button.
[source lang = "python"]
import pygame
from pygame.locals import *
from random import randint

pygame.init()
screen = pygame.display.set_mode((640,480), FULLSCREEN|HWSURFACE|DOUBLEBUF, 32)

gameRunning = True

while gameRunning:

for event in pygame.event.get():
        if event.type == MOUSEBUTTONDOWN:
            gameRunning = False

rand_col = (randint(0, 255), randint(0,255), randint(0, 255))
        screen.lock()
        for _ in xrange(100):
            rand_pos = (randint(0, 639), randint(0, 479))
            screen.set_at(rand_pos, rand_col)
        screen.unlock()
        pygame.display.flip()

pygame.display.quit()

Advertisement
You should google "pygame event handling" and study the articles you find. then, you can write code to perform a task when the user clicks, presses buttons, closes the window etc.

p.s. you should pick a better title for your thread, such as "how do I handle events in pygame".

I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
You've made a simple mistake, by putting the rendering code in the same scope as your event handling code. That is, the lines from 'rand_col = (randint(0, 255), randint(0,255), randint(0, 255))' to 'pygame.display.flip()' fall within the for loop that checks for events. If there are no events to process during a frame, the rendering code doesn't get executed either. That's clearly not what you want. Luckily, the problem is easy to correct:

import pygamefrom pygame.locals import *from random import randintpygame.init()screen = pygame.display.set_mode((640,480), FULLSCREEN|HWSURFACE|DOUBLEBUF, 32)gameRunning = Truewhile gameRunning:    for event in pygame.event.get():        if event.type == MOUSEBUTTONDOWN:            gameRunning = False    rand_col = (randint(0, 255), randint(0,255), randint(0, 255))    screen.lock()    for _ in xrange(100):        rand_pos = (randint(0, 639), randint(0, 479))        screen.set_at(rand_pos, rand_col)    screen.unlock()    pygame.display.flip()pygame.display.quit()
Create-ivity - a game development blog Mouseover for more information.
Thanks, got to watch the indention in python.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement