Sign in to follow this  
rippingcorpse

[C#] Where to go now?

Hi, I just finished .Net Book Zero by Charles Petzold (found here: http://www.charlespetzold.com/dotnet/DotNetBookZero11.pdf) which apparently, according to other users here, covers almost everything necessary in C#. What should I move onto now for making a very simple 2D platformer in XNA? By simple I mean at least a menu with a pause option, moving sprites, rectangular collision detection, and possibly scrolling. I have found some source code for simple examples that relate to this... but they are confusing to understand and are very incompatible with each other. Thanks

What programs have you made? You won't be able to go straight from reading 1 book to making a relatively complex game.

If you've done a couple tiny games (hangman, guess the number, tic tac toe) then you probably want to read through some of the XNA documentation on MSDN and aim for a few sandbox apps (make an image appear, make it move, make it bounce off the edge of the screen, make it follow the mouse, etc) then aim for something like pong.

Then you should be pretty good for aiming for a simple platformer. You might run into problems from going from tiny programs to moderately complex ones. This requires a bit of skill with program design. Design Patterns by Gamma et al. is good for that.