Sign in to follow this  
Elspin

Lua debugging?

Been searching for a while to find a way to debug lua, but coming up blank. At the moment, this is my debugging.
void RunErrorLua(lua_State* luaVM, const char* filelocation)
{
	int ret = luaL_dofile(luaVM, filelocation);

if (ret != 0)
	{
		MessageBox(NULL, (LPCSTR) filelocation, (LPCSTR) "Lua System Error, File:",
        MB_ICONERROR | MB_OK);
	}

}

As you can probably guess, it's about as useless as debugging can get. Knowing that there's something wrong with a lua file doesn't tell me what's wrong, even worse it could be on the lua end or the C++ end, who knows. I'd appreciate it if anyone could tell me how I can run lua files with some form of debugging.

I'm sure there are even better methods, but:

Lua calls a function on a error, in the last version i use it's call _ALERT. The function gets passed a string describing that error.

Simply override the Lua function _ALERT and output the string somewhere useful.

I think the name of that function has been changed in the latests versions, you may need to consult the manual if it has.

Quote:
Original post by Endurion
I'm sure there are even better methods, but:

Lua calls a function on a error, in the last version i use it's call _ALERT. The function gets passed a string describing that error.

Simply override the Lua function _ALERT and output the string somewhere useful.

I think the name of that function has been changed in the latests versions, you may need to consult the manual if it has.

Hmm, I can't seem to find any mention of it in lua 5.1, no mention of a replacement function or such.

Hi,

the documentation of lua5.1 says that luaL_dofile is defined as
 (luaL_loadfile(L, filename) || lua_pcall(L, 0, LUA_MULTRET, 0)) 

And lua_pcall pushes an error string on top of the stack. It can be easily retrieved with lua_tostring(luaVM,-1). This you can incorporate into your MsgBox.

And just check out the documentation on lua_pcall because you can push a error function on the stack which gets called if an error occured. It's useful to e.g. dump the current stack or whatever you want.

Hope I could help you :)

Quote:
Original post by kohma
Hi,

the documentation of lua5.1 says that luaL_dofile is defined as
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

And lua_pcall pushes an error string on top of the stack. It can be easily retrieved with lua_tostring(luaVM,-1). This you can incorporate into your MsgBox.

And just check out the documentation on lua_pcall because you can push a error function on the stack which gets called if an error occured. It's useful to e.g. dump the current stack or whatever you want.

Hope I could help you :)

Thank you, I appreciate the help :)