SDK Archives?

Started by
2 comments, last by Vanz 16 years, 3 months ago
I'm using VC++ 2008 Express and directx 9.0c, yet in the sdk samples there are no direct play samples, yet in directx 9.0b there are a few. I can run all the directx 9.0c samples fine but when I try to run the directx 9.0b ones, I keep running into brick walls (i.e missing lib, ico, and include files). Even once I get all the includes for the directx 9.0b sdk added to the directories I still have a plethora of issues (i.e. dplay.lib can be found nowhere, incorrect defines or my favorite "error C2146: syntax error : missing ';' before identifier 'PVOID64'") So I was wondering is there a central database or collection of updated sample files for each SDK release. A place where I can find networking samples that will work cleanly with directx 9.0c, so I can stop beating my head against the wall... Thanks, Vanz
Advertisement
Im pretty sure DirectPlay was removed after DirectX 8 SDK?
There are other Networking API's that you can use such as the Winsock API.
DirectPlay's been retired for a reason: It's not very good. You'd really be better off using a more modern networking technology; even pure sockets would be better than using DirectPlay.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by cNoob
Im pretty sure DirectPlay was removed after DirectX 8 SDK?
There are other Networking API's that you can use such as the Winsock API.

Hmm they added a bunch of samples in the dx 9.0b sdk for it, just checked:

DirectX_9.0b_SDK\Samples\C++\DirectPlayAddressOverride
ChatPeer
DataRelay
LobbyClient
Maze
...etc

Quote:Original post by cNoob
DirectPlay's been retired for a reason: It's not very good. You'd really be better off using a more modern networking technology; even pure sockets would be better than using DirectPlay.

Could you offer a url, book or an example please...

V

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement