Sign in to follow this  
dave

How do you render text in your D3D applications?

Morning, I a curious to know how you guys create and draw text to the screen in D3D. For example, do you use GDI, D3DXCreateFont, DXUTTextHelper or some other method. Today i am considering wrapping the 3D text creation routines that come with D3DX in order to provide a font library that can draw 2D text using scalable meshes. I am also interested to hear any comments on whether or not this kind of small library would be used. If this appeals to you, what kind of features would you like to see? So, i'm all ears people! :) Cheers,

I created a tool that uses D3DX font systems to generate custom font textures, then wrote a sprite blitter to render them in the game engine.

Here are some snapshots, if you're curious. One of the tool, then one of the fonts being used in my project:
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

I roll my own method, rather than using some other tool or API. I basically just render a bunch of quads on the screen using vertex shader constant instancing. Then I just plop a texture like in Kest's first screenshot onto the quads.