Sign in to follow this  
J-Fox

MIDI Parser

Hey guys, I m working on a game for PSP and PC which needs to parse MIDI files to get the notes (I don't even have to play the files). First, I checked the internet for information on the file format There are lots of information on that topic so I started writing a parser. When I was done writing my parser (in C) I tried it out and I got different results than "MIDI File Analyzer II 1.6". I m not that good in C so I decided to try re-writing it in VB6. I was actually surprised cause I ran into exactly the same problem again. Then I followed 2 other documentations after that (in other words: I rewrote the whole project 2 times using VB6 again). Then I found out that the game Frets On Fire (Phyton) has some MIDI file parser in it. So I rewrote another time... This time it got even worse though. I have been trying it the last 2 days now and I wasn't able to find any good, easy to understand source code to parse a midi file to file or console (Note Off, Note On etc..) Personally I believe the problem is the running status. First, some commands work and then, suddenly, it only receives status messages with an index of lower than 8 - which would be invalid. The running status does this:
0x90 0x53 0x20
0x90 0x10 0x15
becomes:
0x90 0x53 0x20
0x10 0x15
The 90 is not stored anymore because its the status number, if the status didn't change only the parameters are sent. I tried it like that: If the status index is lower than 8 just use the running status. Problem: In some parts its only changing the status after 100s of commands of the same type. For example: I had tracks with no notes, but only Pitch bend. Or rows like: Note on, and then 100 times Note Off on the same channel. Would be cool if anyone knows a page where I can get one of these: - A working MIDI parser (Let it be VB6, C, Phyton, ...) - A better MIDI analyzer (Would be great if it tells me on what offset it got what information)