Sign in to follow this  
nalidixic

Gnop - My Pong Clone

Hey everyone. So this is my first attempt at a game. I am a comp science student and want to try my hand at a few games. I've decided on a simple 2d pong clone but with alittle extra. Instead of just moving bats up and down, I want to be able to spin the bat and send the ball off on angles. There will also be blocks in the middle of then play field that the ball can bounce off of. What do you think? Anyways I've done some planning and would like feedback. I'm going to be writing the game in C using SDL as my graphics API. Here is my planning: GNOP - A pong clone by nalidixic This is going to be the ultimate pong clone. I am using this as an excersice to learn SDL and C programming in Linux. What we are basically going to be doing is creating a clone that gives better control of the ball. Below we will try and type out some of my ideas and code structure. Control: We are going to use the mouse to control the Gonp bats. We will capture the mouse events with SDL and move the bats up and down based on that. When we implement swinging of the bats, pressing the left mouse button will swing the bat left and pressing the right mouse button will swing the bat right. Graphics: We are going to use simple boxes as graphics to start. After we get things up and running, I'm going to create some bat BMP's in GIMP to use. We will also create a nice ball and blocks to use as objects drawn in the play field. Score: The game is going to keep score for us. Each we get the ball across the other players bat, we will score a point. If we score 5 points we will move onto the next level. Levels: There will be 5 levels to start each with different blocks inside of them. If the computer beats us, we will have to start over again at the beginning. AI: The AI will be simple. The computer will wait until the ball is a certain distance away and then move the bat towards the ball. The computer will have to decide when and how hard to swing its bat with some smarts but also with some randomness. Code: We are going to create structures for both bats, the ball and also for the score. The game board is going to be a 2d array that is the same as the resolution of the game. Nalidixic

Lazy Foo is suggested so often here that I think it would save everyone's time if, for every message that includes the word SDL, the server automates a response, giving a hyperlink and all.

Seriously.
"Over specialize, and you breed in weakness." ~ Ghost in the Shell (movie) ~ and they probably quoted someone else.