Server Side Emulation

Started by
5 comments, last by Faerith 16 years, 3 months ago
Hello everyone, I am new here, I have been reading around the site and what not. But I have a couple questions for anyone who knows anything about Server Side Emulation. First off, I would like to know where to start, if I wanted to emulate an online game. I would like to program in C++ (I have Dev-C++ Compiler), and to be run on Windows platform. I just basically want to know what I do to start things off? What kind of tools do I need, how much knowledge of what will I need to consume, and so on. Any help on this situation would be GREATLY appreciated.
Advertisement
Best start would probably be by joining existing emulator communities.

Other than that, it's a somewhat icky topic.
You'll need a packet sniffer (like Wireshark), a good grasp of the language and tools you'll be using, a relatively high knowledge of how networking works (say, know the contents of "TCP/IP Illustrated" to good detail), perhaps some knowledge of disassembly and cryptography, depending on how the game is implemented.

If you're lacking just one of those capabilities, then trying to emulate the servers for a networked game could be a fun way to learn the missing link. If you're missing more than one, though, you're probably just setting yourself up for frustration.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
It would seem that I am just setting myself up for frustration. I know basically what needs to be done, but I just don't know how to start going about doing it, if you know what I mean.

Thanks for the pointers, I got some reading to do still. =)
I think it is not that hard.you can just learn some socket programming,it will a big help!
Best,Kevin Johttp://www.upredsun.com**Easily and automatically build tcp-based or udp-based network protocol source code**
You want emulate your server on a LAN environment or a Internet?LAN may be easy,you just need some TCP/IP knowledge and a socket-programming technology.To a rookie,microsoft's DirectPlay may be a good choice and programming based on that can make you understand the networking for game easily.
Thanks for the input, now I have some more reading to do. =)

Still learning, just very slowly... But getting there, I get a lot more then I did.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement