• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
hyuen

OpenGL OpenGL calls blocking?

This topic is 3916 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi - I'm wondering if OpenGL calls block, so I can do other processing after shoving the commands to the GPU. -Henry

Advertisement
Also, glReadPixels I believe must block. In fact, any of the functions that read data could block (for obvious reasons) which is ofcourse why it is better to use the newer VBO, PBO, etc interfaces because they better allow the programmer to deal with this. Also, if you use a swap buffers (for double buffering) function this will implicitly call glFinish usually. There may some other cases I'm not thinking of.. but there is no inherent blocking in the cases where there doesn't need to be. It should be fairly obvious if the call must block to perform it operation.

The call to swap front/back buffers also blocks.

Other than that and those function calls previously mentioned, everything else is asynchronous.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!