Games in .Net

Started by
11 comments, last by Gage64 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi I want to develop a game in .net. Any pointers r welcome Thanks in Advance, Sivaatzenith
Advertisement
Some details would be nice. What is your background? What languages are you familiar with (C#, VB.Net, ...)?, is it a 2D or a 3D game?

Either way, you should take a look at XNA.
Hm, really depends what kind of games you want to make -- and how familiar you are with .NET.

Most important first step would be familiarising yourself with .NET and perhaps C# -- I say C# purely because you can use XNA game studio with it (though I think with newest version microsoft supports other languages) check it out here: XNA

Other useful things to know? Well, slimdx is a way to use DirectX through .NET -- put together by folks right here so they are always around to ask questions to ;)
Check that out here

Tao framework is really good too -- lets you bind to a bunch of useful libraries in .NET. Can find that here. It is also maintained by folks who hang around these parts :)

And while it is accessible through Tao, you might just want CLS-complaint bindings for SDL.

Using these bindings and libraries is a good way to get things started. That said, you'll need to be more specific with your questions if you want to get quality answers!

~Shiny
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup
Hi Gage64,
Thanks for ur reply. I am good in c#.net. I plan to do 3D shooting games in c#.net. Any pointers to this welcome.

I want to directx 9.0. Hope it will be helpful for me to develop such a game appl. Where to get the same?

Hope I am in right way

Thanks in advance,
Sivaramakrishnan.S
Hi Shiny,

Thanks. I have good exposure to c# .net but I am new to game applications. Can u pls explain me what are the pre requisites to build a game in c#.net. Thanks to google I found directx 9.0. How to get those dlls?

Thanks in Advance,
Sivaatzenith
Why don't you want to use XNA? It's easier to use then DirectX and you'll be more productive with it.

Also, how comfortable are you with 3D math and general graphics concepts? If the answer is "not so much", you should take a look at my reply in this thread for some links to good resources. Also, here I posted a link to some nice applets that can help with learning computer graphics (although they can only supplement existing material, not be used on their own).

After that, you can try to work through some simple tutorials to see if you're comfortable enough with the concepts to actually start implementing some of them. At this point you'll probably have more specific questions to ask.

Hope this helps.
If you found directX 9 on google, I assume you can follow the breadcrumbs to Microsoft's download page...if not, you can grab the latest SDK right here.

As for using the other stuff...each particular thing I linked to has instructions -- but it's not overly difficult; you basically reference the assemblies, whack in a few using statements and kablam -- you can use their library routines.

Something else I might mention is that if you want to make 3D shooters, you might want to pause for a minute and consider how good your math is -- if you aren't familiar with linear algebra (vectors, matrices etc) you'll want to read up on it before you go tackling that sort of game.

~Shiny

[edit] beaten! XD
------------'C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but when you do, it blows away your whole leg.' -Bjarne Stroustrup
Something else worth mentioning is that if you are more interested in making a game and less interested in low-level details, using an existing 3D engine might be a better option. Irrlicht is one such engine. It's free and is easy to use compared to many other engines (and has it's own level editor). There's a working version for .Net here. Looking at some of it's tutorials (.Net versions of these are on the other link), you can see that you can create very nice demos with relatively small amounts of coding. Doing the same in DirectX (and even XNA) will require significantly more work.
Thanks for both Gage and Shiny,
Both directx and XNA are too large to download from net. So asked for my company to get the CD of any of those. I just wanted to do some games in .net during my free time. Infact I have developed a simple game called hangmann in C#. Today I atleast learnt what are the pre requistes for a game applications. Once again Thanks a lot to both of you. Hope to get back to u soon.

Cheers,
Sivaatzenith
Hi,
Just extending the thread.... If I need to develop a game like chess what should I do? Do I need to install any such s/w like Directx or XNA? Kindly help

Thanks in Advance,
Sivaatzenith

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement