blurry screen and size

Started by
2 comments, last by jagguy2 16 years, 3 months ago
i load a texture onto a flat terrain (2 triangles and a tiled grass image). It looks fine close up but very blurry in the distance. I create the terrain as large size over the x/z axis then set the texture in the mesh at 100,0 so i can tile. My actual size of the object in x/z axis is 100. I tried to make a small unit square and scale it up but it looks bad.

g_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MAGFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR);
g_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MINFILTER, D3DTEXF_LINEAR);

g_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_MIPFILTER, D3DTEXF_POINT);

g_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSU, D3DTADDRESS_WRAP);
g_pd3dDevice->SetSamplerState(0, D3DSAMP_ADDRESSV, D3DTADDRESS_WRAP);
q1) can i fix the blurry distance of my terrain on x/z axis ? q2) how far can i make the terrain as i am unsure of maximum distances here. Can i make the terrain 10000X10000 and place objects on it without running out of memory? I know i place 1,1000 D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH arguments meaning i start at z=1 and z=1000 is far plane. [Edited by - jagguy2 on December 31, 2007 5:31:38 AM]
Advertisement
1: You could try using anisotropic minification filtering, if your mip levels seem blurry. However, the only long-term solution for blurry textures is to increase the texture resolution, effectively increasing average screen-space texel frequency.

2: Memory consumption of geometry is calculated by (number of meshes * number of vertices per mesh * vertex size). The spatial extent of the vertices (effective size of the objects) has nothing to do with the data size by itself.

Polygon size and density can affect the performance of the drawing operations otherwise, but this is not directly related to the total data set size.

Niko Suni

Can you post a screenshot please.
1)how do i upload an image or doc file on this thing?
the terrain is mip mapped or tiled with smaller clear images which look good up close but in the distance look just all green and lacking detail.

the textures are clear enough up close as i seem to have a distance problem and i tried anisotropic minification filtering,.

2)how do i manage memory constraints is the question i am asking. How big a scene do i display before i can work out I am running out of memory?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement