My Game Design

Started by
8 comments, last by JTippetts 12 years, 8 months ago
Guess what. I have finally decided to get around to posting my own game design. Even though I seriously doubt anyone would steal it, it is still copyrighted, anyway. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © 2007 BY Manic Blades TM Genre: 2D side-scroller Tactical/Action Medium-Dark Fantasy Role-playing game. (Well, that was a mouthful.) Number of Players Single. We believe that the most epic and deep experiences are provided when the player travels across a beautiful and surreal world alone. Archon’s Chronicles (the current name of the project, subject to change) is roleplaying the way it should be! With dozens of weapons, magic spells, and augmentations (artifacts that, of course, augment weapons), in addition to a satisfying and adventurous interaction system, and an epic medium fantasy world, never feel the same way again! • A combat system that revolves around four parts-drama, humor, rhythm and scale. So in-depth that it includes such trivialities as taunts and insults, while maintaining the fineness of slashes and parries. • An epic magic system with side effects and realistic treatment-if you are seen using “witchcraft,” you will be persecuted to death and exiled, like olden witches. (I am not allowed to reveal any side effects). Magic revolves around red and blue mist, energy exhaled from the gods themselves. Hunt your enemies down, and make them chew fire! • A dialogue system that deals with emotion and powerful choice, combining the emotional conversation (think Mass Effect) system with the linear conversation (think most games that do not allow you to choose your speech) and pos-neg (a name I made up for games that only allow you to choose between a choice yes and a choice no). • A story that deals with gods and demons, life and death, magic and religion, and even sex and bigotism (don’t ask me about that last pait, it’s just for the realism, kids.). • A unique condition system that deals with such, well, conditions as heat, space, environment, camping conditions, and thirst (in the desert). Example of Combat: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- You walk into the forest-a green, serene conflagration of trees, grass, chirping birds, and tranquility. Suddenly, you run across a Velcom. The Velcom is a horrendous creature-a gray creature with sapphire blue eyes, a sharp, hawk-like nose and a human-like body (except for clothes and any private part/buttocks area). It has a blade for a hand, and saliva droops from its mouth. You dash to the Velcom at full speed, equip the flame enhancement, and make a flaming uppercut before the Velcom can do anything. The velcom is cut cleanly in half, and severe burns melt the rest of its body to the ground. Its head, which rose into the air, falls back down as ashes. You walk away, ignoring the fact that you fought it. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This example illustrates a very powerful character taking on a Velcom, one of the first enemies you fight in the game. I envision the combat to be lightning-paced, augmented by, well, augmentations and magic spells. Drama consists of three parts-equilibrium, disequilibrium, and equilibrium. This combat system hopes to model that by gradually increasing speed and pace of combat, until the end of a fight, during which the character cools down, and equilibrium and tranquility returns. The social engineering is no longer meant to use conversation trees. It now uses, in a twilight zone-like twist, emotions and incomplete sentences floating in the air, which have to be chosen, and at least mirror the actual dialogue spoken. The engineering only gives alternatives to combat if you are dealing with NPCs. Monsters that cannot think logically are not considered NPCs. Monsters that can think, speak, and visualize things logically are considered NPCs. A short list of abilities: -Necromancy -Meteor -Flame -Ice -Flight Expressions (short list): -Bow -Insult -Curse -Threaten -Slap (context-sensitive) Abilities are mainly centered around combat, while expressions are used to support social engineering. These are only short lists, but are meant to convey at least some of the possibilities. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Can you spot any holes in this design? If I am pushed enough, I may reveal my design document's elevator pitch (nothing else though), but I want to hear baout this right now. I want to hear your opinions before I full-on go slaving and typing and slicing seventy-five pages from all directions to find design flaws. Omniblade-Game Designer/Writer (Not THAT experienced) and Basic C++ Adept (I must be crazy if I learned the basics this fast.) Edit: I just realized how little information I gave, so I will edit this later. Website: Manic Blades DISREGARD EVERYTHING BELOW: Someone please tell me why the function <A> has not been working lately, regardless of whether I place the quotations around the website URL or not. Or maybe I did something wrong. I don't know. Either way, the registered domain name gamedev.net keeps appearing in front of my website link. [Edited by - Omniblade on January 5, 2008 9:01:19 AM]
Advertisement
Very interesting. Your imagery is that of a true game designer =)

I really don't have much feedback, but I enjoyed reading your post. Keep me updated!
Thanks. :) I thought somebody would criticize my design for being clichéd. Wait. Now, I get the feel someone still will. But regardless, thank you. I'll keep you updated as best I can between typing the design document and keeping my team members updated.
The game is now in the official prototyping stage. I will need comments now more than ever, because I need the opinion of the general public in my design document. Thanks.
Manic_Blades
Thanks. :)
Quote:Original post by Omniblade
I get the feeling someone still will.
Ask and you shall receive.

First off, not a design point, but a posting-in-the-design-forum-on-gamedev point: You've posted what reads like an advertisement (complete with copyright notices) and asked us to comment on it. I hate commenting on advertisements because they are by definition made to bloat the good and hide the bad without revealing anything. Post a well phrased question and you'll get answers, I don't even know how to respond to your original post (but I'm trying anyway).

So to address the question itself,

Quote:Well, anyway, what do you think of my incomplete design?

As I said, it's not a design, it's an advertisement for a design that you're writing, too many buzz words and generality.

There is no fiction to be cliche, you mentioned persecution of witches and 'olden days' so you've painted a small thumbnail.

You haven't really explained the gameplay, so that's not cliche either, you have said 2D side scrolling tactical action ... RPG with a combat system that revolves around theater arts, and you actually called one of your mechanics a triviality, which means it probably shouldn't be there.

I'd rather you illustrated a very concise example of how you envision the gameplay, or flesh out your fiction a little (though that really belongs in the game-writing forum), and ask for comments on those.

So I'll ask you some questions:
Can you walk me through an encounter with one or more enemies?
What are the controls?
What kinds of abilities will I have?
Is part of the game social engineering using conversation trees?
Is the social engineering aspect a good alternative to combat?

The anchor tag works fine, you just have to include 'http://' in the href property.

As for stolen ideas and copyright notices, visit Sloperama and read as much as you can, that site is a paragon of wisdom surrounding game design, but I'll pull out the nugget you want: No one will steal your idea, they're too busy on their own ideas.
Geordi
George D. Filiotis
I know-I have visited Sloperama and read many (but not most) of the lessons there. That is where I got the idea that only the most desperate people would steal the idea/incomplete design/design advertisement. But either way, I am not allowed to disclose too much detail here. Maybe a tad more, but not too much.

Edit: I sure can later on though.
Its better than my ideas.

Its better than my ideas.

It's also more than three years older than your ideas. Please don't necro old threads.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement