Learning C++

Started by
63 comments, last by sheep19 16 years, 3 months ago
Thanks, I'll give it a try

Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Megaman_22
If you really want to learn C++, I'd suggest getting the Deitel&Deitel book, C++ How to Program. I think they're on the 6th edition now, but they're all about the same. It might run you close to a hundred bucks, but it's worth it, because if you go through everything in there, you'll know just about all there is to know about straight C++.

Personally that's the last book I would recommend since I"m currently forced to use it for my C++ class and while most of it is technically correct it's overly verbose and you'll feel like the authors were paid by the word while reading it!
I"d recommend "Accelerated C++" ,though I don't really care for that book, before the Deitel one!
The Dawson book is good if you are totally new to programming and if you are more advanced you can't go wrong with Stroustrup or Lippman.

[Edited by - daviangel on January 2, 2008 4:17:17 AM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote:I'd recommend "Accelerated C++"

From what I've heard, this is one of the best books on the planet for learning C++, though it will be difficult for someone with no programming background (and for someone without, but the effort is worth it).

Also, you might want to take a look at the books in my sig. They're free, so you have nothing to lose [smile].
There's a lot of really, really bad books out there on C++. It's difficult to figure out which ones are good, because quite unfortunately, many people review technical books on everything but... their technical accuracy.

Here are pretty much the requirements of any decent C++ book:

- Reflects modern C++, which is post 1999 revision. Any book that hasn't been written from scratch or very, very significantly rewritten after 1999 is out of date.
- Detail oriented. C++ books are not light reading. Nor is C++ a simple superficial language. Details matter, and a book that isn't detail oriented isn't good.
- Technically accurate. Harder than you think.

Lot of books fail this test. There's a number of C++ books I think pro C++ programmers should have gone through. Two of them qualify at the beginner level and those are "Accelerated C++" by Koenig and "C++ Primer" by Lippman. Accelerated C++ is designed more like coursework or a tutorial, and tries to teach you the idioms in C++. C++ Primer is designed more like your traditional reference/tutorial book.

No pressure to get just those books though. I trust those books to impart correct knowledge because I went through the material in those books after the 99 revision. If you're short on cash, make sure you get your money's worth...

Or pick another language that is easier to learn for free. Like Python (seriously, quality books/tutorials for free over the internet).
Thanks I will give those ideas a try. and if any one has the time and interested.
I looking for some one to help me with it. Not just to teach me, But to get me started with some thing. One time a week. Send me a sample that I can use to create a program with, then send parts of it every week or so. That I can add to the first one.

At this time I couldn't pay you. I'm disable and on a fix income. SO any help would be great

Thanks
Joe
One of the books in Gage64 sig is free and has exercises at the end of each chapter. Give it a try: C++: A Dialog

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Quote:Original post by bigjoe11a
Thanks I will give those ideas a try. and if any one has the time and interested.
I looking for some one to help me with it. Not just to teach me, But to get me started with some thing. One time a week. Send me a sample that I can use to create a program with, then send parts of it every week or so. That I can add to the first one.

You can't learn C++ by just looking over examples and copying what they do; C++ is way too obscure in places (some might say in general) for that. You need a book to learn from.
Quote:Original post by Jerax

You can't learn C++ by just looking over examples and copying what they do; C++ is way too obscure in places (some might say in general) for that. You need a book to learn from.

Every one says that. How ever. How do you think I learn Basic and Pascal. By reading the the sample programs to get an idea of how to use commands and options. Learning C++ is like Basic and Pascal. It take practice.

Learning C++ is like Basic and Pascal.

No. C++ is a lot harder than Basic or Pascal.
I think when you are new to programming it is easer to start with basic or pascal. Mainly because it is easer to read and you'll get good idea about how programming works with variables and stuff. But when you start to get hang of it just go with c++ because that's the thing you actually want to learn

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement