Learning C++

Started by
63 comments, last by sheep19 16 years, 3 months ago
What I'm looking for is some easy samples of C++. Like a Name and Address Program. I just started with C++ not even a week ago. And I just want to learn some thing new. Any Help from any one would be great.
Advertisement
Well, your C++ book or tutorial should have samples, right?

Also, have you written any chunk of code from scratch all by yourself?
The best way to learn is to do it. After a week you should at least be familiar with int main() (the entry point of a C++ program), and std::cout (the mechanism that allows you to print strings to the console). To do a name and address program you will also need to understand how std::cin works, and how to use variables to store and retrieve values. You may not have encountered those concepts yet, so look for examples that use std::cin to let the user type in a value, store it in a variable, and then print it out using std::cout. If you can do all of that, then you can start on your name and address program.
"When you die, if you get a choice between going to regular heaven or pie heaven, choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if it's not, mmmmmmm, boy."
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way.
Thanks but I was hoping some one would have made a sample like that. So that I could study the code and learn how the forms are setup. Right now I'm just playing with it and I didn't get a manual with it. I got it from ebay. I have a tutorial on Borland C++ builder. Its just that I have some options missing in the Version I have and some options in the tutorial I don't under stand. Thats why I was hoping for some thing that was simple. Like a program that lets you keep Name and Address. You know like an address book. or some thing. Just some thing for me to study on.
You might want to look at this page... there are some sample assignments in the Challenges section, and the tutorials are helpful as well. Happy coding!
Quote:Original post by Rocksy
You might want to look at this page... there are some sample assignments in the Challenges section, and the tutorials are helpful as well. Happy coding!

Thanks Rock. But I wanted a real program sample. Just parts of one doesn't help.
I have been able to find lots of samples. I just can't find sample programs. If you get the idea. I fount out that C++ is no where near Basic nor Pascal. So the programming language is no where near the same. I have played with the tutorial that I have. Its just that options from the tutorial are missing from the IDE that I have.

I just think that the tutorial I have is out of date. I wish and I have been looking for an updated one. One thats not even a year old. and thats hard to find.

Okay, how's this:
http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=10247.

It's a little side project of mine that I'll be making a website for soon enough. It's inspired by the old BASIC type-in books, many program play just like them, but updated to C and C++. I've written almost all of the programs but I hope once there's a website that it'll inspire contributors.

I'd love to have a simple example of making an address book or something.
A new game every week. Visit www.cymonsgames.com
Quote:Original post by guesst
Okay, how's this:
http://www.retroremakes.com/forum2/showthread.php?t=10247.

It's a little side project of mine that I'll be making a website for soon enough. It's inspired by the old BASIC type-in books, many program play just like them, but updated to C and C++. I've written almost all of the programs but I hope once there's a website that it'll inspire contributors.

I'd love to have a simple example of making an address book or something.

To be up front with you. I never have been good at making games.

Guesst. If I could find a program. Just a program. some thing simple. I mite get some idea about how C++ works and how its coded. Look. Do you know of any Online classes that teach C++ and are cheap. I'm disabled and on a fix income.

You realize you can pick up a decent level of knowledge online for free? If you go through the tutorials at cplusplus.com and cprogramming.com , you should have a very good idea of how to go about writing simple C++ programs.
If you really want to learn C++, I'd suggest getting the Deitel&Deitel book, C++ How to Program. I think they're on the 6th edition now, but they're all about the same. It might run you close to a hundred bucks, but it's worth it, because if you go through everything in there, you'll know just about all there is to know about straight C++.
Eric Richards

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement