Sign in to follow this  
Zacharei

Console Development

Lets say I want to develop something for the PS3, legally. How would I go about accomplishing this, and is their a place where I can get the PS3 SDK. Anyway... Frankly what is the cheapest sdk out their, at the moment, frankly I want to make something for any console except the Xbox 360, and I don't want anything like XNA, I want to be able to put it on a dvd disc, and place it into the console and have it legally able to play, than I want to package probably five disc, release it into a test market, and see how it goes. So how is my staff, well I guess Its extremely small, but I mean I don't even want it to be extremely big, look at thatgamecompany, never heard of them, and here is Flow out on the PS3. I found this very impressive and amazing for such a small company, so who do I have, my team consists of one 3D modeler, one overall game designer, one level designer, one sound manager person <= have yet to come up with a name, and I the coder/person in charge of our limited company.

Quote:
Original post by Zacharei
Lets say I want to develop something for the PS3, legally. How would I go about accomplishing this...

Read this.

Quote:
...and is their a place where I can get the PS3 SDK?

Sony, after you've become a certified developer. All the console manufacturers restrict the ability for you to publish for their platforms as a measure of quality control (no, not the quality of the game; the technical quality of the product). Consequently, they lay out a number of prerequisites to your becoming a certified developer.

Quote:
Anyway... Frankly what is the cheapest sdk out their, at the moment...

I hear the Wii SDK is the cheapest, but they won't sell it to you unless you're a certified developer. (Notice a trend?)

Quote:
So how is my staff, well I guess Its extremely small, but I mean I don't even want it to be extremely big, look at thatgamecompany, never heard of them, and here is Flow out on the PS3.

flOw originally came out on the PC as Jenova Chen's MFA thesis; it then showed up at GDC 2006 as a presentation in the Experimental Gameplay Workshop. Only after that did it turn into a PS3 downloadable game - it's not available on physical media at retail.

Thank you, wow I guess I'll be sticking to PC game development for a while, Oh well its better than not developing any games at all, I guess, though I really would like to develop something out on the console market. Though to actually get it out on a retail, with my limited finacial assets, and small development staff it`d be nearly impossible.

I'd definately stick to PC until your company generates some buzz. Alternately you could always get a job at a game company, although something tells me that's not what you're looking for.

Look into the otheros functionality on the ps3, basically allows you to install linux on it... a few of the guys over on ps2dev.net have made it possible to boot apps without installing linux, so you could distribute your work amongst friends on a disk or usb memory stick to demo your work

i will warn you though there is not much access to the ps3's rsx chip due to their being no official driver, but it is definitly possible to low level code for the graphics hardware on firmware versions < 2.10.

if your an inexperienced programmer it might take you a while to learn, as the cell processor is quite a unique architecture

but have a look at this

http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=9429

this includes the otheros demo and comes with source / binary's you can test the binarys out on a retail ps3, all instructions are in the thread... on the home page it has the toolchain which you can setup on windows using cygwin. or if you have a ps3 id recomend putting linux on it and coding on your pc using ssh and samba to get it onto the ps3

To develop a console title has been my dream since I played the famous Capcom title - Resident Evil 2. But that's quite a big challenge. You can't develop a great title until you are working with a group of talented people. So pc is the most realistic platform for me to develop now.