• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

c++ maps help

This topic is 3706 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hey i want to make a game like nethack witha large map but you can ojnly see a bit of it and when you walk more is revealed i dont know how to do this and need help to know how could someone please help me?

Advertisement
That's... a very open question. And you've not given much detail other than NetHack (which is open-source! You can see how they did it!). In all seriousness, sit down with pen and paper and have a think about what you'd need to do in code to make that happen. Once you've come up with a rough algorithm, try implementing it. If you run into difficulties, post back by all means, but have a stab at solving the problem yourself first.

Quote:
Original post by iNsAn1tY
NetHack (which is open-source! You can see how they did it!).
I strongly suggest not looking at the NetHack source for anything; pretty much every Roguelike has atrocious, disgusting procedural code that should be offensive to anyone with the vaguest sense of propriety.

That said, what you're looking for is a scrolling tilemap. Without more details about your game, it's hard to get more specific.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement