• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
loachman

Game Making tools

This topic is 3918 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I have finished C++ 1 and C++ 2 and the first semester of Java in college. I was looking into some game making tools. I have specifically looked into DarkBasic and Torque Game Engine. Anyone have a good experience with these tools? Or should I not even waste my time and start with OpenGL and DirectX? I like taking "baby steps" into this stuff, and don't wanna get in over my head which is why I was thinking a dedicated game making tool would be a good place to start. Plus the game making is just a side project, I do not wish to make games for a living. Thanks Loachman

Advertisement
Personally I would start by taking a look at SDL. Its a great library that was written in C. Very easy to use.

Nalidixic

I would download the demos for both and see which ones you like the best. I personally started with a product called The Games Factory and then later Multimedia Fusion. Such programs can provide a good entry point into game design concepts.

I actually don't recommend C anything for a beginner and so a game making program or perhaps C# with XNA or Python with PyGame would also be good bets.

C++ is a strong language and I have used it on many occasions, however it is not very novice friendly and it is easy to fall into quite a few pitfalls with it.

I have heard about DarkBasic and Torque Game Engine before, but I have never used it, nor do I have any experience with it.

Since you're taking "baby steps" I recommend that you don't start with OpenGL or DirectX, as those might be a bit too complicated for you right now. I recommend SDL, it's a free library by Sam Lantinga, and it is very easy to use. If you want to get started on it, you can go on right ahead to LazyFoo.Net. I have been using that site for a while now, and I think that it will assist you very much in your game dev'ing.

I'm assuming that you're going to make a few games, but you're not planning to do this for a living. So learning DirectX and OpenGL will not be necessary. I have 2 suggestions for you. You can either:

a) Learn C/C++ and SDL
b) Learn Python and then learn Pygame (it's a game-making library I think)
c) Learn how to use a game engine (eg: Torque, Realm Crafter, etc..)

It all depends on how complicated that you want your games to be. Learning C++ will be quite of a challenge, however the end results are worth it. You'll find it much easier to make a game with option c, but then your game implementations might be limited. And I don't really know that much about option b, so I suggest that you look into it.

But do keep in mind: There are many directions that you can take.

I've used both, and I really think you should look into C# (with XNA).
Torque is a good engine, but my experience is that it tends to be a little too much to handle for the complete beginner.
As an alternative to DarkBASIC (a better one), have a look at BlitzBASIC.
Send me a PM and I'll help you out.

Per Henrik

If you are interested in Torque *and* C# you might want to consider checking out TorqueX (http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque/x/ =)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!