[web] Downloading A File

Started by
2 comments, last by Thoover 16 years, 3 months ago
Hello, I need (when a user clicks a link) to download multiple files to the Application Data folder and execute an EXE. If I need an extension to do this that is fine, but how would I go about doing it (In FireFox)? I'm trying to make it so it seems as if the user is not downloading my game, but rather playing it "without downloading." The files do not have to stay permanently. Thank you! Matthew Kremer
Advertisement
doesnt cookies do that job already?
Your requirements could be used to implement malware: person visits page, page sends application, application is downloaded, computer is infected. Because of this, even if the user does allow the download to happen, he will still get a warning about how unsafe it would be to do so. You would thus lose any benefits of your approach.

I suggest that you use plain old downloading. Firefox allows executing an application you've just downloaded.
if this game is java-based then this is not hard to do, you just need to sign the applet (this is how RuneScape works), but as for an executable game i don't see this actually working the way you intend, even though you can make a signed applet download the run the program fairly easily (but mind the users files if you overwrite files you can be considered "hacking" (horrible term for this situation) and possibly sued or worse... (runescape stores it in a folder at C:\Windows\.jagex_cache_32 if you wanted to know for windows havent ever got on it in Linux (i only get on to talk to friends))

hope this bit of info helps any (if you can see it because i see that you are banned...)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement