Sign in to follow this  
Wajde

[web] javascript beginner question..

hey all. i just started to learn javascript.. im reading now "Simple javascript" book.. and when i tried to write some code using visual web developer . i found that the things are not runing as i read in the book!!! for example getting attributes from node has different way in visual web dev unlike the way written in book , and so on... things are different why????

Quote:
Original post by Wajde
for example getting attributes from node has different way in visual web dev unlike the way written in book , and so on... things are different why????

Each browser vendor presents different variations on the document object model (DOM). You'll want to read this, this and this.

ok , this is really wierd............. what language is that!!!!!!
i even copied a code (that should work in ie) and it didnt!!!!!!
whats going on?? for example when i do document.all it doesnt add <body> to the returned array!!! wth?

even external libraries like "prototype" doesnt work!!!!!!
help please.......

and another wierd thing, that "document.all" doesnt get body in the returned array!!!!

im not new to programming , but this thing never happend to me before, NOTHING WORKs!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, calm the fuck down. Stop with the excess exclamation marks. Problems are normal in software development, so stop expecting everything to work perfectly right out of the box.

Second, we can't help you if you don't give us enough information about what you're doing, what result you expect, and what precise result you're seeing, including error messages if any. If, in this case, you're executing your scripts in the browser environment, I recommend installing Firebug for Firefox and IE Developer Toolbar for IE. These tools will allow you to see syntax errors in the specific environment and have a better idea what is going wrong.

The software development process - which you should know, since you state you are not new to programming - involves numerous small failures along the path to problem resolution. These failures are important feedback, and not something to get all dramatic about.