Sign in to follow this  
KuroKitten

Capturing/Recording what is currently being played

I'm looking for a way to capture the sound that is being sent to the speakers and then do some data processing on that sound. For example, if the user plays a song in Winamp, I want to be able to capture what they are playing and do stuff with it accordingly. The same would hold true for "windows" sounds or other media players. This is part of an equalizer project I'm currently working on, and I want to have the visualization change with whatever the user is playing. Currently, I'm using the FMOD library to do my frequency analysis and calculate "bar height" for the music it plays. I want to extend this beyond playing a song within the program and draw bars accordingly into simply capturing sounds and drawing bars accordingly. Thank you in advance for any and all help! Meow!

Windows audio only supports one capture device, and in order to change it manually you'd normally have to go via the sound control panel. If I uderstand correctly, you'd need to change this device from the output 'wave' stream to 'microphone', 'line-in' or whichever other capture device is being used. Windows offers interfaces to enumerate and switch between these devices, and I'd be surprised if this weren't possible through FMOD.

I have never done this myself, but a brief look through the FMOD reference suggests that System::getRecordNumDrivers and its associated functions may be of use.