Industry standard Game developer.

Started by
15 comments, last by yaustar 16 years, 3 months ago
This topic was started to ask what game engine is used by the gaming industry.
I completally understand that i'd have to learn the basics of programming before progressing to bigger projects.

I mentioned this about two posts ago, i never woke up saying 'I want to be a game developer'.
I already program games in DarkBasic Proffesional that could be distributed.
But i didnt want to spend the rest of my Programming years saying i made all my games using a basic language.

I'm fully prepared to spend as much time as possible learning the very basics of a program, I never said i want to jump from "Hello world!" to a Multiplayer fully role playing game.

Now, my analogy, i didnt mean to cook for a 150+ crowd, i meant to cook a meal for yourself.

And, another analogy to sum up what I mean could be; To learn a new language, one cant expect to put together a whole sentance after just learning "Hello."

I dont plan on putting together a game like GTA as soon as i learn 'cout << "Hello World!";'
Advertisement
THQ uses several engines accross all their studios. There are a couple using Unreal 3 and as far as I know, the rest use their own engines (or are sharing technology with a sister studio).
If you want to learn C++ game development, make a mod for HL2 (if you own it), or learn SDL+OpenGL or DirectX.
troll?? serious? dude, what are you trying to create? what type of game?
As for which engine Rockstar use:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockstar_Advanced_Game_Engine
You seem to be confused in that you believe that it is impossible to make a game without an engine. This is plain, dead wrong. I would assert that until you start making games that are the programming equivalent of a 150+ person wedding, engines will be a hindrance. Until then, direct access (through, say SDL) to drawing, input, etc. will be far easier to get results with than a game engine. Your attitude is saying that if you don't have a game engine (especially if it's not the 'industry standard'), then you won't be able to make a game.

And to restate the logistical problems of getting an industry engine: They cost thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to license. The exact amount isn't really known, since most of them you have to sign an NDA just to look at (and no, they probably won't let an individual who is unlikely to come up with the money look at it).
To answer your second question directly: Unreal, ID, and Source engines are usually quite popular although you will find a lot of teams will have their own in-house engine with 3rd or 1st libraries to handle areas such as physics and rendering.

Visual Studio is a standard in the gaming industry for compiling and writing. A lot of tools plug directly into the IDE.

As others has said, you don't need engines to write games. It may help but is not necessary. For example, Guess the number programs are games but you don't need an engine to write it.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement