if(tick - counter >= ms)
        {
             counter = tick;
             return true;
        }

return false;
    }
};

but it doesnt work, help im trying to do render object A pause for 5 secs render object B and i know i cant use sleep so dont suggest that thx
Advertisement
What exactly doesn't work?

Also, using clock() is probably a bad idea because of it's low precision. Using GetTickCount() or timeGetTime() will give better results.
well 1stly, if i do elapsed(1000)
which is supposed to be one sec, it doesnt trigger
but if i do elapsed(1)
it triggers immediately which i know is supposed to happen but that is just to show that it can work...

my code is like

a.draw();
if(elapsed(1000))
b.draw();

EDIT : i have changed clock to GetTickCount and clock_t to DWORD
but it still doesnt work
First of all, if you look at the documentation for clock() (for example, google for it), you will see that it returns the number of clock ticks elapsed since the program started. One clock tick does not necessarily last one milisecond, so 1000 ticks is not necessarily 1 second. To translate between clock ticks and seconds/minutes/etc, use the constant CLOCKS_PER_SEC. See here for a detailed example.

Second of all, could it be that you are creating your timer as a local variable in a function that's called repeatedly from a loop (and that contains that other code)? If you are, then the timer is recreated every time the function is called and the 'counter' variable will always start at zero and will not accumulate the time values returned by clock() (unless you declare the timer as static).

EDIT:

Quote:EDIT : i have changed clock to GetTickCount and clock_t to DWORD
but it still doesnt work

Just saw this. In that case, you can ignore my first point.

Also, you might want to use the debugger to see how 'counter' is incremented and that will help you understand the problem.
it is incremented and it is not a local variable ... im trying to find a function that lets me wait(time); like sleep(), but i cant ... and none of my timers work :(
Did you go over your program with the debugger, line by line, and see something that shouldn't happen?

Also, change this:

Timer(): counter(0) {};

to this:

Timer(): counter(GetTickCount()) {};

otherwise the first call to elapsed() will return true (which is of course incorrect).

Another thing worth mentioning is that this timer only works if you call elapsed() once per-frame. If you need to wait for something else, don't make two calls to elapsed() on the same timer object. instead create two timer objects and call elapsed() once for each one.

Here's a simple program I wrote to test your class. It works as expected:

class Timer {    DWORD counter;public:    Timer(): counter(GetTickCount()) {};    bool elapsed(DWORD ms)    {        DWORD tick = GetTickCount();		if(tick - counter >= ms)        {             counter = tick;             return true;        }        return false;    }};int main() {	Timer timer, timer2;	// This loop will print an S every second and will	// stop running after 3.5 seconds	while (true) {		if (timer.elapsed(1000))			cout << "S" << endl;		if (timer2.elapsed(3500))			break;	}}
only works if you call elapsed() once per-frame

ok what if i want to use it more than once per frame, any other class or function i can use
Like I said (and did in my example), create more than one timer and call elapsed() on each one.
hmm, that seems to be the only way then .. ok thx

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement