Sign in to follow this  
damix911

DirectX texture blending problem

Hi everybody! I'm new to DirectX programming, and I'm trying to do a really simple texture blend effect. My graphic card is a GeForce 7600 GT, drivers are version 9.1.4.7 and DirectX is 9.0c with SDK April 2007 DirectX detects these capabilities, among the others: MaxTextureBlendStages = 8 MaxSimultaneousTextures = 8 My problem is that if I try to blend three textures, aparently the third stage is not taken in account! This happen with any operation, and any combination of arguments; however I'm trying with the following blending settings:
d3dDevice->SetTexture(0, texture4);
d3dDevice->SetTexture(1, texture6);
d3dDevice->SetTexture(2, texture5);

d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_MODULATE);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_DIFFUSE);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(0, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);

d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_ADD);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(1, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);

d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(2, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_ADD);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(2, D3DTSS_COLORARG1, D3DTA_CURRENT);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(2, D3DTSS_COLORARG2, D3DTA_TEXTURE);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(2, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);

d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(3, D3DTSS_COLOROP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);
d3dDevice->SetTextureStageState(3, D3DTSS_ALPHAOP, D3DTOP_DISABLE);

Am I doing something wrong? Thanks to everybody for helping! Bye! ;-) [Edited by - damix911 on January 2, 2008 4:52:10 PM]

All stages must either have BOTH a colorop and alphaop, or be disabled. So, all your stages are actually invalid. Set an alphaop on all your stages. Setting to SELECTARG1, DIFFUSE is a pretty harmless generic value.

That said, you'll probably want to look into D3DTSS_TEXCOORDINDEX, which lets you specify which set of UVs to use on a texture stage. Most models have 1 set of UVs, so you'll need to set the TEXCOORDINDEX for stage 1 and 2 to '0'.

Also, be aware that what you're doing will apply lighting to texture 0, then add textures 1 and 2 on top of that, unlit.

Thank you!

First of all because even if I read it, I was thinking that the color blending must be active when the alpha is active, and actually it is exactly the opposite, as you told me. However last thing you said solved my problem: simply I had defined the vertex format and then I forgot about it, but only two set of UV coordinates were defined! I will look for sure to the parameter you recommended me, however for now I have simply redefined the vertex format and it works :-D

Thank you again and have a nice day!