Normal mapping...

Started by
3 comments, last by polymorphed 16 years, 3 months ago
Hello fellow coders, I've been trying to find a good tangent/texture-space normal mapping tutorial for a long time now. I've found a few, but they were usually not too good. What I really don't understand is how I create the matrix which transforms a vector from an arbitrary space, to the actual tangent/texture-space. So, I would be very thankful if anyone could point me in the right direction, such as recommend any books or online tutorials, or generally just give me some advice...
while (tired) DrinkCoffee();
Advertisement
I can recommend following two pages: theory and implementation. If you're using Direct3D there exists D3DXComputeTangentFrame(Ex) function which can do all the work for you.
Nvidia's MeshMender library will also generate tangents and binormals for a mesh, and should work for either D3D or GL.
I second NVIDIA Meshmender. ShaderX4 has the source of Cryteks tangent space generation system ... pretty cool.
ShaderX5 shows you how you can generate tangent space in a pixel shader .. if you are really memory limited this might be an option.
Thanks for the help guys!
while (tired) DrinkCoffee();

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement