Choosing a game engine

Started by
3 comments, last by BlindGnome 16 years, 3 months ago
So I'm trying to find a game engine to use for the MMORPG that my company is currently designing. The game engine that has caught my eye, and stuck the most, is Torque Game Engine Advanced. The link to this engine is http://www.garagegames.com/products/28/ . I'm wondering if any of you have dabbled with this engine, I'm not a programmer but do know what we're looking for, for our game. 1) Obviously the game engine has to be able to run under a ton of stress, due to the project being an MMO. 2)Visuals - Due to the backstory/storyline of the game - cinematics and visual effects will be overly important. 3)Ease of Programming/Editing - Important for quick fixes once the game starts up, and less problems this engine needs to be able to be in the simplest form of design without taking away from the integrity of the game. Like I've stated before, I'm not a programmer myself and if any of this is wrong in my decision to choose the best engine for our project, then do leave constructive criticism. Also, if any of you have any opinions about what fills these shoes, or have used the Torque Engine. Please feel free to leave feedback.
____________________________Founder of Blind Gnome Entertainmentwww.blindgnome.comCurrent Work: Project Danen Ra'
Advertisement
1: MMOs are not particularly stressful on the client side. You won't be using Torque on the server.

2: TGE is somewhat outdated in this regard. But great artists make great visual effects, much moreso than technology.

3: I have heard rumblings about problems with Torque in this regard, but of course nobody posts on a message board just to say that they aren't having problems. If you're looking for a game engine that isn't a mass of unmaintainable spaghetti code, you could do a lot worse.

Quote:I'm not a programmer myself and if any of this is wrong in my decision to choose the best engine for our project, then do leave constructive criticism.
Your constructive criticism: Cut it out. If you are not a programmer, the choice of an engine should not be your decision. Delegate to someone who knows what to look for and how to see it.
I have to agree with Sneftel's comment that you should leave the choice of engine to a developer. Whilst I applaud your efforts to learn the pro's and con's of the different options, an experienced developer is in a much better position to accurately chose which tools meet your technical needs.

I've lost count of the number of times I've been forced to use awful tools because they were chosen by people who didn't actually have to use them.

:o)
If you're looking for a quick prototype for your MMO, I would go with the RealmCrafter engine. Understand though that it really wouldnt be a commercial game in any sense, but a good starting ground for you and your team. Torque + the mmo kit is a good starting ground for you if your team is willing to put in a little more effort.

Quality of the game is definately our main concern, We are working on this project for the experience purposes and because we enjoy games in themselves...but me and my team all agree that we will not put our name on a game that is terrible.

I guess im not really looking to PICK an engine right away, but get more of a perspective on what engines are out there, and get a review on the engine that I was thinking of using.

Money is not a problem when in concerns of the engine.

Thank you for all your feedback though, it's always nice to read!
____________________________Founder of Blind Gnome Entertainmentwww.blindgnome.comCurrent Work: Project Danen Ra'

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement