Sign in to follow this  
Miley Cyrus

File/Data Management in C++

I'm not especially new to programming, but I am new to C++. I was wondering if any of the experienced users here could direct me to any sort sof tutorials, or extensive documentation, on the creating and storing data files (that contain varibles, arrays, etc) and being able to recall that data into your game. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Original post by Miley Cyrus
I'm not especially new to programming, but I am new to C++. I was wondering if any of the experienced users here could direct me to any sort sof tutorials, or extensive documentation, on the creating and storing data files (that contain varibles, arrays, etc) and being able to recall that data into your game.

Thanks in advance.
A quick hint: The term you're looking for is 'serialization'.

If you're looking for an existing solution in C++, check out the Boost Serialization library.

Right, the C++ standard library currently does not have any provision for serialization. So you either code your own (which you might be aware, is more complicated than it seems) or use a third party library.

The Boost library is rather well known, (I'll leave it to you to find out why it has such a high reputation). So it's not a bad starting point.