Sign in to follow this  
markookram

Different ways of building a FPS style camera

I'm trying to create a FPS style camera with Direct3D in C#. Have seen millions of tutorials, but they are all pretty much the same or give you only one part of the code and I can't figure it out. Most tutorials I have seen is with the Matrix.LookAtRH function which requires camera position AND camera target. Why the need for a target in a 1st person camera? Is there a way of setting up a camera without it? Something that would just have the camera movement and control the yaw/pitch/roll.

Here you can find some code that uses a different approach (the files for part 3, chapter 12). It's part of a book's source code.

BTW, that book has a second edition, but it's implementation is different and seems more limited.

Whenever I've done a FPS camera I've always stored the up, forward and right vectors and generated a view matrix from that (easy - you just have to shove them into a 4x4 matrix in the correct position and pad the rest out). For actual movement you can construct a 4x4 matrix and apply it to all the vectors. Eg. if you were turning left you'd make a rotation matrix around the 'up' vector for your turn amount and apply that.

Quote:
Original post by markookram
Most tutorials I have seen is with the Matrix.LookAtRH function which requires camera position AND camera target. Why the need for a target in a 1st person camera?

Because without a target(Which could be a tiny fraction away from the actual camera position), what would the camera look at? I mean, in a 3D world, you can basically look in 360 degrees in all directions. If you don't define a target, the direction in which you look is kinda random.

Toolmaker