• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

ID3DXSprite with texture splatting

This topic is 3701 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello! I am currently working on a 2D tile-based game. After several attempts I created an animated water tile and saved it to a png-file. I render all my sprites and textures with the ID3DXSprite interface and it works pretty well. By adjusting the texture rectangle I draw the correct part of the texture and get the animation. Now I had the idea that by apllying an alpha map to my water tile I might create a nice beach effect, with the water gradually fading out towards the shore. My question now is how i can achieve this without creating another water texture containing the alpha channel. Is there any way to dynamically load an alpha map (from a seperate file) and apply it to my water tile? I think texture splatting is what I am looking for here, but I haven't found anything about it in combination with ID3DXSprite. What I eventually want to do is actually animate the alpha map to get the effect of waves flowing in and out of the beach. But a static alpha map would at least be a start .... Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement