[.net] Private access to a folder...

Started by
7 comments, last by davepermen 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi there, This is a bit off topic but this is the closest topic area to fit this topic I think I could find. I want to beef-up security for my project. I have other users that access my computer and want to make my project folder to only be available to me. I also want to ensure that users from network access cannot access the folder no matter what! Any ways to do such a thing? Also any other security ideas or "where to start" is appreciated since this is such a broad scope subject. Thanks, Devin
Advertisement
Adjust permissions on the folder so that only your account has access. Then make sure your account has a password and that nobody else has access to it or any administrator account on your machine.
How do I adjust permissions on the folder. I used to know but am now rusty.
Right-click in Explorer, Properties menu item, Security tab, Edit button. Then you can add and remove groups and permissions as you please. [smile]

If running XP Professional, first disable simple folder sharing (it's in folder options). If running XP Home, you'll have to boot in safe mode as far as I'm aware (the option to disable simple folder sharing is not available).

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Another option you could consider is http://www.truecrypt.org/ and use it to encrypt your files. I would create an encrypted file inside your folder, and then use TrueCrypt to mount that file as a drive.

If you are unable to install software on the computer, TrueCrypt may also be used as a portable application.

Using encryption will boost your security so that even if someone logged into your account or had admin privleges and could access your directory, they would still have to have your TC password to even get to your data.
Benryves,

Thanks that worked. I studied the MCSE a while back but am rusty now since I haven't had to use it for quite some time.

Jhunt1,

Thanks that sounds great. I'll check it out. The question is if I have all my projects for VS and I encrypt them will it cause problems with VS2005 or VS2008 when I open it with them?

TrueCrypt will treat an encrypted file as a mounted drive. You would create a file of a fixed size, say 2 Gigs, and use TrueCrypt to mount it as drive Q: for example. When it is mounted, it's treated as any other drive on your system, you can navigate it with Explorer, save to it, etc. When it's unmounted, there's no indication at all what the file is or does.

You would just mount the encrypted file prior to starting up Visual Studio.
So the question is this... if it's mounted and someone hacks in thru the internet, could they have access to my data?
truecrypt is for offline security, means security, even while the os doesn't run.

for the online security you still have to set correct permissions for the mounted truecrypt drive.
If that's not the help you're after then you're going to have to explain the problem better than what you have. - joanusdmentia

My Page davepermen.net | My Music on Bandcamp and on Soundcloud

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement