Does anyone make a flowcharting API for OpenGL?

Started by
11 comments, last by esteban nielsen 16 years, 3 months ago
I really like the features of MindFusion's FlowChart.NET which I've used in .NET WinForms apps, however I really would like to get away from WinForms and no longer be tied to the Win32 platform only. I think OpenGL along with FLTK can do this for me but I cannot find an equivalent API for flowcharting/diagramming. It would be an absolutely daunting task to write something nearly as feature rich so that is out of the question. Hopefully someone can recommend a commercial or open source equivalent? For comparison purposes here is link to screenshots of the FlowChart .NET API I am looking to replace, many thanks! http://www.mindfusion.org/gallery-net.html
Advertisement
Don't see why you would want to use OpenGL for this as flowchars are really simple 2d...
Using OpenGL would be a bit of an overkill, and in fact, limiting, i'd think.
____________________________Bjarni Arnasonbjarni.us
Quote:Original post by bjarnia
Don't see why you would want to use OpenGL for this as flowchars are really simple 2d...

Because I don't want to be living in the WinForms world or Win32 world. I want a UI api that is 100% cross platform.
If your application is a flowcharting application, you might want to consider one of the cross platform GUI libraries out there. These libraries, generally, have OpenGL objects which you put into a window, and could use for charts and etc. So, your flowcharts are then rendered in an OpenGL context while the GUI library operates the controls.

Alternatively you could go the whole hog and use crazy eddies GUI.
I just wanted to see if he would actually do it. Also, this test will rule out any problems with system services.
See SDL.
Quote:Original post by consolejoker

Because I don't want to be living in the WinForms world or Win32 world. I want a UI api that is 100% cross platform.

I can understand that.. But OpenGL is not a UI api :)

As someone already suggested, see SDL
Quote:Original post by consolejoker

I can understand that.. But OpenGL is not a UI api :)

As someone already suggested, see SDL

Understood, I meant underlying rendering point. I am looking to completely remove myself from Windows.

Doesn't SDL lack UI controls? Isn't it just boostrapping for main windows and message loops on various platforms?
Quote:Original post by shotgunnutter
If your application is a flowcharting application, you might want to consider one of the cross platform GUI libraries out there. These libraries, generally, have OpenGL objects which you put into a window, and could use for charts and etc. So, your flowcharts are then rendered in an OpenGL context while the GUI library operates the controls.

Alternatively you could go the whole hog and use crazy eddies GUI.

Yes but are any of them well developed for flowcharting?

I spoke to MindFusion and they said they'd sell me a source license. Apparently I'd need only implement one major interface for OpenGL and the entire library will just work properly. Don't know if its that true in practice but it sounds promising.
SDL has alot of libraries for GUI..
This is one example:
http://libagar.org/screenshots.html.en

(haven't used it myself)
I think you need a portable GUI library, like GTK or Qt, which have full support for OpenGL widgets. Type these in google and see if that's what you need. If it isn't, ignore this post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement