Sign in to follow this  
VaderJ

VC++ 2008 Express or VC++.net ??

Hi everyone. Thanks in advance for your advice. I've been away from programming now for some time and am now able to get back to it. The language I want to learn is C++. As I am interested in game development I was checking out the XNA developers center and found VC++ 2008 express edition wich includes the DarkGDA. While I want to do game programming, right now I only want to focus on learning the language itself. Hence I need an IDE to use. I currently own VC++.net version 2002 and was wondering if I should use that or just use the free express edition. The operating system I will most likely be using this on is Windows XP Pro. I couldn't find any system requirements on the express edition and was wondering if it only ran on Vista? I guess it really doesn't matter which I use since I won't be doing to much at the moment, I just wanted to get your opinion on which might be better. Thank you so much for you help.

VC 2008 (express) works fine on XP.

I'd use the express edition unless you're intending to do cross-language .NET work, or unless there's a particular plugin that you want to use (Express editions don't support plugins). I don't suppose it makes a massive difference overall, although the more recent compiler is likely to be better in various ways (standards compliance generally tends to improve with new versions, as does the compiler's optimizer).

I've recently starting moving my projects from Visual Studio 2005 Pro over to VC++ 2008 Express, and I haven't hit any problems so far. Intellisense seems to work somewhat better in 2008, which is nice.

John B

Quote:
Original post by JohnBSmall
VC 2008 (express) works fine on XP.

I'd use the express edition unless you're intending to do cross-language .NET work, or unless there's a particular plugin that you want to use (Express editions don't support plugins). I don't suppose it makes a massive difference overall, although the more recent compiler is likely to be better in various ways (standards compliance generally tends to improve with new versions, as does the compiler's optimizer).

I've recently starting moving my projects from Visual Studio 2005 Pro over to VC++ 2008 Express, and I haven't hit any problems so far. Intellisense seems to work somewhat better in 2008, which is nice.

John B

Yup! I see no reason why you shouldn't use VC++ 2008 express especially since it's a free download.