• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
kacperz1

DirectPlay - Client name and sending data to specific client

This topic is 3942 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I work with direct play and I have several questions about. I create a server, host a session and make possible for players to connect.
case DPN_MSGID_CREATE_PLAYER:
{  
   HRESULT hr;
   PDPNMSG_CREATE_PLAYER pCreatePlayerMsg = (PDPNMSG_CREATE_PLAYER)pMsgBuffer;

DWORD dwSize = 0;
   DPN_PLAYER_INFO* pdpPlayerInfo = NULL;
   hr = g_pDPServer->GetClientInfo(pCreatePlayerMsg->dpnidPlayer, pdpPlayerInfo, &dwSize, 0);

if( FAILED(hr) && hr != DPNERR_BUFFERTOOSMALL)
   break;

pdpPlayerInfo = (DPN_PLAYER_INFO*) new BYTE[ dwSize ];
   if( NULL == pdpPlayerInfo )
   break;

ZeroMemory(pdpPlayerInfo, dwSize);
   pdpPlayerInfo->dwSize = sizeof(DPN_PLAYER_INFO);
   hr = g_pDPServer->GetClientInfo(pCreatePlayerMsg->dpnidPlayer, pdpPlayerInfo, &dwSize, 0);

std::cout << pdpPlayerInfo->pwszName << std::endl;
   break;
}
When i run few clients, server must show names of player but he show strange characters for each one: 00B25EA8 //1 client 00B26D30 //2 client 00B26D88 //etc. I think that's the addresses of pointers in memory or something like that. So how can I show the players names normally as they are? For example in place of 00B25EA8, Player1. The second question is how can I send data to specific client. Yes I know function SendTo and her first parameter but what must I write there if I want to send something to third client for example? Must I make a array? No, dumb idea. :) Thanks for answers.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Marineio
Use
  std::cout << *pdpPlayerInfo->pwszName << std::endl;
pdpPlayerInfo is a pointer to a struct which presumably contains a wide character string, so dereferencing it will just output the first character of the string.

The problem (I think) is that std::cout doesn't seem to like wide character strings. Does it work if you do this?
std::cout << L"Testing" << std::endl;

If it does, what if you do:
std::cout << (LPCWSTR)pdpPlayerInfo->pwszName << std::endl;

Although if that doesn't work, I've no idea. I very rarely use STL iostreams. Another thing you could try is printf (Although it's horrible, I know):
printf("%S\n", pdpPlayerInfo->pwszName); (Note it's an upper case S for wide character strings).

Consider the following program:

#include <iostream>

int main()
{
const wchar_t *foo = L"foo";
std::cout << foo << std::endl;
std::wcout << foo << std::endl;
}

When run, it outputs:
Quote:

0x804895c
foo

Quote:
Original post by rip-off
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

When run, it outputs:
Quote:

0x804895c
foo
Ah, so std::cout can't handle wide character strings at all then? Any idea if there's a deliberate reason for that?

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Quote:
Original post by rip-off
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

When run, it outputs:
Quote:

0x804895c
foo
Ah, so std::cout can't handle wide character strings at all then? Any idea if there's a deliberate reason for that?

AFAIK, std::cout (as a std::ostream, or std::basic_ostream<char>) has an overload for its template type pointer and std::wcout (as a std::wostream or std::basic_ostream<whcar_t>) similarly has an overload for wchar_t pointers.

Both have an overload for a void pointer, which is what is being used here.

I don't know if there is a reason for not having an object that supports both, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if there wasn't such a reason.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!