Sign in to follow this  
Tegramon

Beginneers Question

Hi I am a web developer since several years and finally decided to stop playing games and start making them. I have several questions though: As an Indie Developer what tool or better said framework should I use? Is XNA2.0 with C# a worthy investment? Or should I start with low-level DirectX? Tegramon

Quote:
Original post by Tegramon
Is XNA2.0 with C# a worthy investment?
That would be an excellent choice, and can potentially produce some very high quality games once you learn to use it effectively (which will be significantly easier than doing the same for your other option).

Quote:
Or should I start with low-level DirectX?
How do you think that would benefit you? It's a perfectly valid option, but it'll take a larger time investment and won't provide many (if any) significant advantages to you as an indie developer.

I'm relatively new to game development (not programming) but from my experience using C++ with the SDL graphical library has been very nice. SDL gives you enough control to do lots of things and it isn't as complicated as doing directX or openGL right off the bat.

Another thing that has helped me a lot is that some guy (internet alias Lazy Foo) made some incredible tutorials available at [link]http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php[/link] you could quickly scan through a few of his tutorials to decide whether or not to give SDL a shot.

Quote:
Original post by Mr_Threepwood
I'm relatively new to game development (not programming) but from my experience using C++ with the SDL graphical library has been very nice. SDL gives you enough control to do lots of things and it isn't as complicated as doing directX or openGL right off the bat.

Another thing that has helped me a lot is that some guy (internet alias Lazy Foo) made some incredible tutorials available at [link]http://lazyfoo.net/SDL_tutorials/index.php[/link] you could quickly scan through a few of his tutorials to decide whether or not to give SDL a shot.

OpenGL really isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. I find OpenGL code to be much more readable than DirectX code.

The hardest thing for beginners (at least in my experience) is getting the maths and physics down. If you are good with maths and physics the 3D APIs make a lot of sense. If you don't get the maths then it seems like a foreign language.

Edit : Buy the Redbook :). It is extremely clear and has made OpenGL make a lot more sense since I started reading it rather than relying on online tutorials (which more often than not are more of hindrance than a help).