Sign in to follow this  
Lazaroz

Turn radius in 3D

Hi i need function,which can do this: http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010314/pinter_06.jpg http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20010314/pinter_05.jpg on gamasutra is article only for 2d world and i need in 3d thanks for any help

Hi,

actually you can use the same calculations as used in the 2d version, except that you'll need to figure out the 3d-plane where the rotation takes place.

- With the start point, end point and the direction vector you'll be able to calculate the 3d-plane (unless the direction vector is pointing at the same or opposite direction as the vector formed by the start point and the end point).

- With the plane you can project the start point, end point and the direction vector in order to use the function in 2d. The plane normal is the axis for the turning.

Good luck!

Quote:
Original post by kauna

Hi,

actually you can use the same calculations as used in the 2d version, except that you'll need to figure out the 3d-plane where the rotation takes place.

- With the start point, end point and the direction vector you'll be able to calculate the 3d-plane (unless the direction vector is pointing at the same or opposite direction as the vector formed by the start point and the end point).

- With the plane you can project the start point, end point and the direction vector in order to use the function in 2d. The plane normal is the axis for the turning.

Good luck!

im able to computing plane but i dont idea how i can translate 2d on 3d plane