XNA or MDX?

Started by
7 comments, last by Khaosz 16 years, 3 months ago
Hi, I want to get started on programming my own game engine. I looked around for some tutorials to use DirectX in C#(my target language). A lot of things I found used the XNA api. At first sight, it didn't seem like the thing I'd like to use, Managed DirectX (MDX) on the other hand seemed very nice. But at some sites I found that MDX is replaced by XNA, so that the development of MDX has stopped... Would it still be a good idea to build an engine on MDX or is XNA the better choice? And another question: I got a bit confused by XNA, It seems you can only download an XNA game studio which will work like (or with?) Visual Studio. But if I go for XNA I'd like to use SharpDevelop as my IDE. Is it possible to use XNA with SharpDevelop? Many thanks! Khaos
Advertisement
Managed DirectX is obsolete. XNA is the "new" MDX. So that should narrow down your choice a bit :)

All you need to use XNA is Visual C# Express 2005 with SP1 and XNA Game Studio.
Ok, I already thought so.. Well, I guess it's XNA then :P

Anyone knows if it's possible to use XNA with SharpDevelop as my IDE?
You can certainly use the XNA DLL's with SharpDevelop as you would any other DLL, but to get all of the extra stuff like the content pipeline you will have to use Visual Studio.

As an alternative to MDX, check out SlimDX, which is an open source project to bring Native DirectX to the managed world.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX
I tried to use the XNA dll with SharpDevelop, but I'm getting a "File not found" exception if I'm trying to run my program. It can't be an error in the code since it is copied from a tutorial. Which DLL's does XNA need to run? I only got the Microsoft.XNA.Framework DLL file.
Hi Khaosz!

You can use XNA with #Develop, all you need to do is reference the XNA assemblies to your project...

But like Mike said
"to get all of the extra stuff like the content pipeline you will have to use Visual Studio."
I already have added the assembly references Microsoft.Xna.Framework and Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game, but I still get the error.
Maybe your XNA Framework is corrupted?
Try to reinstall it...
Found the problem already, had to update the DX SDK on my PC.

Got everything working now. Thanks for the replies :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement