not another beginer

Started by
8 comments, last by tufflax 16 years, 3 months ago
hi y'all as da title says, i'm another beginer to programming, like no joke, i just started this week, the only language i kno AT ALL, (and i'm terrible at it) is python. i disocovered a new passion (or phase) and i really wanna get into game designing, but i have no idea where to start, so if you guys could help me with names of programs, anything at all relevent that would be great thanks
Advertisement
Python was the first language I actually did much with. The first program I made with it was a shopping list generator. It saved the data to a file, and I think it could retrieve data from the file, but the only thing I cared about was the name.

Making a silly little program like that will teach you basics of program and design. Plus, you can update it with new info whenever you learn something new and exciting.

Also, you could try a "guess the number", or have the computer guess the number.

Just keep learning to program and don't think about games until you've at least learned a good deal of OOP (if you don't know what that means, you'll learn).
If you want to get more intermediate results with actually making and designing games, consider using something like GameMaker.

Steven Yau
[Blog] [Portfolio]

Python's a perfectly respectable language to start out with. Make you sure know it well enough to implement some simple text-based games like "guess the number" or hangman, and then check out PyGame.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Keep learning Python, you don't need any additional software at the moment. Practice making small games and programs with what you're learning, and perhaps give PyGame a try when you feel you're ready to do something graphical.

- Jason Astle-Adams

I remember when my dad first showed me basic :D
Anyway I don't know python but the first complete program I made in C++ was tic tac toe in a nice command prompt window.
All you really need to know is arrays and if's.
With text based games you can be creative and use different symbols to make pictures
Python is an excellent beginner language, and pygame is all you need for some pretty good 2d creations. Eventually you will want to sink your teeth into c++, and at that point I recommend you use SDL and the various tutorials. Google LAZY FOO for some of the tutorials I started with.
Quote:Original post by gb_programmer
Eventually you will want to sink your teeth into c++
Or not. Just because some people do so doesn't mean everyone has to, and there are plenty of succesful hobbyist and indie developers out there who never bothered (or did and then thought better of) "sinking their teeth into" C++. It's certainly an option, but it shouldn't be presented as something that must be done eventually.

- Jason Astle-Adams

Gawd... I sense another 'this language is better' debate LOL

so yeh, like above, just stick with Python, it's best to get started with something than keep on thinking what language is best, at the end of the day, they all have there strengths and weaknesses, Python is no different in that respect, your still be learning the fundamentals of programming.

it's more important to build your programming confidence and knowledge of how to 'think' like a programmer. Keep practicing with Python and before you know it your be pumping out code from memory.

I learned C and C++ before I found out about Python, but now I'm in love with Python, and I'm never gonna do anything i C++ again. It's repugnant!

ON TOPIC: I'm trying to think of how I learned (although we are all still learning!) programming. It was in school, and we got to make data strucutres, and other various excerises, including recursion and stuff like that. You could probably find excersises by searching on google.

When you find that you want to move on to a game with graphics, get PyGame like others said, and try to make games like Snake, Tetris etc. I guess.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement