Thinking up 'sections' for your documentation?

Started by
3 comments, last by Kylotan 16 years, 3 months ago
I recently started a documentation to keep track of what I need to program into my game. However, I have a hard time coming up with sections. I found that "game design templates" posted around the web are way too generic, and not personalized for my semi-unique game genre. So I ask you, oh great game designers.... what helps you come up with the Table of Contents for your documents? Thank you.
Advertisement
Ask yourself what you see in most of the games in your genre and then ask yourself what you want.

I personally make all of the content in no particular order and then organize and add what I need into it.
------------George Gough
The TOCs of my GDDs vary depending on the content of my game.
Trying to come up with a universal list of "sections" for a GDD is just trying to put a patch on the problem you already identified - that generic GDD templates cannot work for every conceivable game.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Im definately not a professional on this, but my opinion would be to break the design document up into the various portions of your game.

Take an FF sytle RPG

You have the world map, battle system, leveling system, etc. Each of those can be further broken down. Using each section of the game, you can then use those as your Design Doc sections.

My 2 cents
Ideas presented here are free. They are presented for the community to use how they see fit. All I ask is just a thanks if they should be used.
Quote:Original post by Cgr
I recently started a documentation to keep track of what I need to program into my game. However, I have a hard time coming up with sections. I found that "game design templates" posted around the web are way too generic, and not personalized for my semi-unique game genre.

Identify why a generic one doesn't fit, and think about where you would put that extra information.

But really, focus on communication. Things should fall into natural groupings. Your game can be divided up several ways - different aspects of the tech required, different types of in-game entities, setting/story/characterisation, input and output methods, game modes, etc. If you're confident that you know enough about your game to know that a standard doc won't work, just write your stuff down and organise it as you go along. Headings follow content rather than the other way around.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement